Author Topic: MacBillin  (Read 2322 times)

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacBillin
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 August 09 21:33 BST (UK) »

Hi Nikki, my first thought was that this was a misheard MacMillan but that took me nowhere. I then tried Billin,still couldn't find George or Irene but something interesting did turn up.

IGI 1881 Census - 13 Napier St. Heigham  Norfolk

MACK Billin 42  Shoemaker
Maria          40
Thomas P   10
Edith           8
Hannah A    4
Laura M       2

All born Norwich

Can't see this Mack anywhere else. I wonder if it was an abbreviation of his middle name which later got added to his surname. Still doesn't find George but could this be his parents and siblings?

Very long shot but as no MacBillins appear to exist before Irene it might be worth looking at.

Val

Offline King Soloman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 August 09 21:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Val,
I have been trying to find MacBillin for a few months by searching the internet. I went to Newhaven today and visited a number of libraries and museums. I think your right. The name doesn't seem to exist. I will start researching the alternative names that have been suggested.
Many thanks
Nikki

Offline moorey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
I was also having trouble trying to find MacBillin and finally decided to Google the name and that's how I found these postings. Arthur is my first cousin once removed. I only had 3 children recorded - Reggie, Rachel and Allan - all born in Tarring Neville - so thank you for your information on the others which I shall now add to my tree. IF I can be of any help please contact me
Moore (East Sussex) Vickery (London - Australia)