Author Topic: Baptist Burials  (Read 4173 times)

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Baptist Burials
« on: Sunday 30 August 09 23:18 BST (UK) »
My 3xG grandmother was married in a baptist church. Her christening and burial is given as being in Trevethin, but her marriage in Abersychan Baptist church.

I am wondering where she would be buried - in the graveyard of the Trevethin church (which I believe is church in wales) or would there be somewhere particular for those of the Baptist faith?

Forgive my ignorance but I do find this confusing.
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptist Burials
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 August 09 23:43 BST (UK) »
I would imagine the Baptist Church would have its own burial ground ,if not there may have been a part of the public cemetery set apart for "Non-Conformists". Don`t let Baptist CHURCH confuse things we would call them Chapels and they were not the same as Church of England or Church of Wales ,but entirely different denominations. It was common for Baptists, Methodists, ( both Primitive and Wesleyan) to marry in a Church rather than their regular place of worship because their ministers were not licensed to conduct marriages and so a Registrar had to be paid . But in the C/of/E
ministers were licensed and also it was a sort of superstition that Church marriages were more binding and "stronger". I`m sure some RootsChatter will have accurate info on this.
.My own Great grandfather was a staunch Particular Baptist who preached at his local Chapel (which is called  -----Baptist Church) nevertheless married at St. Mary`s in Shrewsbury in 1860.Best of luck with this.Viktoria.                                                                                                             

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 09 09:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you Viktoria

The non-conformist situation confuses me greatly!

If you dont mind me asking, where was your grandfather finally laid to rest?

Julie
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 August 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Chepstowgirl, my gr grandfather was buried in a little graveyard attached to (Chapel as We would say but  properly called-) Lordshill  Particular Baptist Church near a tiny  village  named Snailbeach in S.W.Shropshire . Mary Webb wrote about it .Breathtaking countryside and thanks to Mr.Adolf Hitler where I spent the war years with my paternal grandmother`s family,her brother and sister  who attended the   chapel  where their parents were buried  and where eventually they too were buried. . Sadly my grandmother did not go home to be buried but lies in an unmarked grave in the Non-Con section of a Municipal cemetery in Manchester. She left Shropshire to work in Manchester as a servant, married grandad and may have returned for family occasions but not to be buried- but if you saw where she came from and where she ended up you`d feel sure she has "gone home"-. in spirit .It is very sad .it took two years to pay for her funeral costing £6. 12. 04, in 1916. They were so poor, yet decent, honest ,kindly people., I  am proud of them  and have an inverted snobbery about it all.Viktoria

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 August 09 17:48 BST (UK) »
A lovely story. makes you think about how different life was years ago. It makes me feel that the difficulties faced made life more - I dont know - valuable? As though people back then had lives that were so much richer for their experiences, for their survival in difficult times.

Im still no nearer to finding out where my 3g gran was buried, but plan to visit the area again soon for another look.

Thank you for sharing.

Julie

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 August 09 18:10 BST (UK) »
Some Baptist churches have their own graveyard, however many do not. My grandmother who was a Baptist is buried in Cambridge City Cemetary, Newmarket Road; my wife's parents who were also Baptists are interred at the Municipal Cemetary Scarborough. Boston Baptish Church which my grandmother attended had a graveyard, but it was filled many years before she died; the Baptist Church at Scarborough has no graveyard. I would guess that it will be the older and more rural churches which have their own graveyards.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 23:55 BST (UK) »
Anyone living in a parish, or someone from outside who dies in a parish, has a right to be buried in the parish graveyard regardless of denomination (although there could be major rows between the CofE clergyman and the non-conformist minister as to who carried out the service). Many non-conformist churches had their own burial ground though, and burials could also be in a local council cemetery.  In the latter there are often separate areas for different denominations.  In some cases churches & chapels have been converted to other uses, gravestones may well have been removed in this case, and bodies may have been removed for burial elsewhere.

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 06:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone, for all your replies. I plan to return to Trevethin and speak to the vicar of the local church, who apparently holds some records that may be of use. Ive learnt quite a bit doing this - thank you again.

Julie