Author Topic: Kathleen (Kate) Crowther nee Flynn - brick wall been hit  (Read 5473 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Kathleen (Kate) Crowther nee Flynn - brick wall been hit
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 September 09 02:47 BST (UK) »

There are a few candidates in 1881 census, so you may need to get her marriage cert to find her father's name and occupation to place her there if you want to go further back

You really need the marriage certificate to find out the details of Kate's father.

I think we agree this is the best next step  :)  Then you will be able to check all possible birth  registrations with the appropriate register offices or the GRO, stating that you only want the certificate if her father's name and occupation match

Barbara 
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline CJCollins260168

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 September 09 19:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you everybody.  Firstly apologies to dawnsh.  I realised that the 1911 census was available at pay per view.  I am very embarrassed and apologise.  I have just paid the £107 fee to anc site but of course the 1911 census isn't on there.  Anyway, very sorry if people thought that I was taking liberties in ansking for a freebie, it wasn't intentional....just really wanted some help and guidance.

I will get a copy of the marriage certificate.  Thank you all for your help, and I'm sorry again.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 September 09 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't think that was felt at all. Post again when you have the details of the marriage certificate and we'll all have another look at this.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CJCollins260168

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 September 09 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you!  I will get in touch once I have it - I really appreciate the help ;D

Offline CJCollins260168

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 September 09 21:10 BST (UK) »
Right my aunt has the marriage certificate which lists Kate's father as Patrick Flynn, a labourer

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 September 09 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

See what everyone else thinks but there doesn't seem any obvious candidates for Kate/Catherine/Kathleen Flynns on the earlier censuses with a father Patrick who would fit the one you were interested in. That wouldn't eliminate the London City Catherine/Kate candidate because we know she is not with her parents on the 1871 census. In the absence of finding a possible with a father called Patrick on the censuses she would remain a possibility because of the birthplace match in particular to the more specific 1891 census entry, but see whether any other possibilities emerge.

Does the marriage give any witness names which might be helpful?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CJCollins260168

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 September 09 22:12 BST (UK) »
I will try to find out some more from my aunt over the weekend.

Thank you again, you've been really helpful.  I will get back to you.

Offline CJCollins260168

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 September 09 17:37 BST (UK) »
Okay I didn't get anything from my aunt over the weekend.  However I did manage to find a 1871 census for a Flynn family.  The father is P Flynn and the mother as ? Flynn (not sure if it is L or J).  I'm attaching the two documents (page 1 and page 2).  This census was in Southwark - 323 14 New Buildings.  The top of the census shows the Board of ? (is it Works?).  does this mean it is a workhouse?  P Flynn is listed as being a labourer born in Ireland.  His wife born Surrey (St ?).  On page 2 they have a 2 year old daughter called Catherine.  Different spelling to Katherine on marriage certificate but I understand spellings were often wrong on census returns.

[sorry, won't let me post the census at the moment!!!]  Will try to do it separately

Any thoughts?

Offline CJCollins260168

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 September 09 17:39 BST (UK) »
no won't let me attach file. ???