Author Topic: Joseph T. Reader Bap: 13 Jul 1794 St James, Westminster  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Carino

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Joseph T. Reader Bap: 13 Jul 1794 St James, Westminster
« on: Saturday 26 September 09 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have access to ancestry and I have found my ancestors Bap date  but there is only information regarding the entry and not an actual photo of the original entry,  like so many others have,  I am trying to find his mothers maiden name as it only lists her first name,  I did look for an entry for his fathers marriage to an Elizabeth and one came up  but unless I have his mothers surname on his Bap then I have no way off knowing if this Elizabeth Hughes  is his mother.  In those days did they put the mothers surname down or was it left empty ?  if it was left empty how do we go on from here, how can we go back any further ?  and help or advice given will be great.  Thank you in advance.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph T. Reader Bap: 13 Jul 1794 St James, Westminster
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 September 09 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Carino

The parish registers for Westminster churches (with a few exceptions) are deposited at the City of Westminster Archives and are not part of the LMA/Ancestry digitisation project.

The entry you found is from the British Vital Records Index (BVRI) compiled by the LDS church and can also be found on the IGI.

You won't find a mothers maiden name on a baptism entry unless the child was illegitimate.

It's highly unlikely that this entry will be anything other than 1794, 13th July, Joseph T son of Joseph & Elizabeth Reader.

It can be very tricky proving that marriages before the start of civil registration in 1837 and the early censuses are the couple you are actually looking for as ages, occupations and fathers names are not normally given.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Carino

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph T. Reader Bap: 13 Jul 1794 St James, Westminster
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 September 09 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hiya Dawn,

Thank you for your reply and for the information you provided, some of it I didn't know,  so thank you.,   I think deep down I knew this would be the case but was hoping I was wrong. 

Thank you so much I really appreciate you answering my message.  All the best.