Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224570 times)

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

Following the thread with interest as it is similar to my search for my German ancestors.
My GGF Gustav Paul Heise lived in Birkenhead and was interned in Lancaster in WW1.
Michael

Hi SBFF, did you know that he was interned from family telling you or did you get it from the NA?
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline skyblueFF

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello
No I didn't know about him until I applied to NA for his wifes application for naturalization.
See my post
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,347825.msg2264199.html#msg2264199
michael
HEISE ,Germany, London and Birkenhead.
HARTWELL. London. Arundel.
CAPSTICK, Westmorland and Liverpool
BUTLER Liverpool
CHARTERS,  Walton Liverpool
GORE,Sefton, Liverpool .
CRUICE Roscommon and Liverpool.
ROBINSON, Westmorland.
ATKINSON,Westmorland.
DACRE, Westmorland.
FORSHAW,Sefton,Liverpool

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 04 December 09 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello all you descendants of German pork butchers in Britain.
In May next year I’m giving a talk in Salzburg/Austria on the topic: Migration and food. For this I’m in need of some photos that show the shop fronts of German butchers with their windows and all the specialities and delicacies displayed in them. Is there anyone who owns such a photo and could send me a copy?

With kind regards
histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 05 December 09 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Moderator comment: copyright image removed

Hi K-H,
      Christian Frederick left Carlisle and moved down to Lancaster in the county of Lancashire. He worked for the Co-operative (a chain of shops for food, furniture, insurance etc) before returning to Carlisle. I will email the co-op (their nick name) and see if they have any photographs from 1911 of their food layout on the counter.

Hi to everyone else that I have been corresponding with. Before I send the above information to the NA, can you take a look at it and give me some advice.
Under the heading - birthplace, Christian Frederick's birthplace is recorded as Wùrttenburg. In the next column it has a date for Nationality of 1885.
If Christian Frederick was 39 years old on the 1911 census, that means he was born in 1872. Which means he was 13 when he was naturalized?!?!? Can anyone make any sense of that?
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 05 December 09 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello
No I didn't know about him until I applied to NA for his wifes application for naturalization.
See my post
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,347825.msg2264199.html#msg2264199
michael

Michael, thats a great thread that mate, I read it a couple of weeks ago and then came back to it today for another read, a lot of twists and turns  :)

John

Offline James1950

• RootsChat Senior
  • Colour Sergeant Garrett Barry
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 05 December 09 20:11 GMT (UK) »
There is still a family of butchers in Burnley who orginally came from  Germany before WW1. At the out break of the war someone threw a brick through their shop window. They were well loved in the town and the next week the Burnley Express newspaper published a photograph of the family showing all the male members standing out side their shop in their British military uniforms.
Heyworth/  Harrison/ Broughton/Cook/Crooke/Duxbury ~  Pendle
Myerscough ~ Lancashire
Eastwood ~ Burnley
Chppendale ~ Bradford
Bulcock ~Pendle
Cropper/ Heap/Shackleton  ~ Bacup ~ Todmorden
Barry/Looney / Kennely ~ Tralee Kerry

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 06 December 09 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Good morning James1950,

Thank you for your hints. I have already been in contact with the Burnley butcher family for several months. I will try to get a copy of that photo showing their sons in British uniforms in front of the shop from the Burnley Express.
Kind regards
histres

Hello johnbhoy,
I thank you also for your information and your offer to help with getting a photo.
Best wishes
histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 06 December 09 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I'll pm you when I get a reply K-H.

James, the shop in Burnley is a prime example of the anti-German sentiments of that period.. They have donated one of the WW1 uniforms to the local museum and have detailed accounts of they're family history, very nice people.

Offline James1950

• RootsChat Senior
  • Colour Sergeant Garrett Barry
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 06 December 09 15:09 GMT (UK) »
http://www.burnleyinthegreatwar.info/haffenergeorgebattledress.htm

This a link to a reference to the family on a wonderful web site that is dedicated to Burnley soldiers of the Great War.

I come from a family of butchers  in Burnley. My uncle was married to a member of the family who were victims of the shop window incident. His wife is still alive and related the incident to me only a few weeks ago.

James
Heyworth/  Harrison/ Broughton/Cook/Crooke/Duxbury ~  Pendle
Myerscough ~ Lancashire
Eastwood ~ Burnley
Chppendale ~ Bradford
Bulcock ~Pendle
Cropper/ Heap/Shackleton  ~ Bacup ~ Todmorden
Barry/Looney / Kennely ~ Tralee Kerry