Author Topic: RENDELL / RENDLE / RENDALL of West Coker  (Read 13361 times)

Offline Lady emma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RENDELL / RENDLE / RENDALL of West Coker
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 January 09 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Chaltis,
Thanks for the response....I actually have more information than I thought..(sometimes it all runs together!)
Sampson (or Samson) Rendell lists his place of birth on the census records as West Coker but the birth information I found in the parish records lists it as Crewkerne.....I checked out your website but did not find anyone from Crewkerne. All the religious first names makes me think there must be a connection somewhere.
Karen
powell davies lilliman marshall postings
talbot hodges rendell coombe dickings dickens

Offline Mike E

• Email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 January 09 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Sampson (or Samson) Rendell lists his place of birth on the census records as West Coker but the birth information I found in the parish records lists it as Crewkerne.....
Karen

Hi -

I have a couple of transcriptions of Rendal / Randal West Coker bmds - the only references I have to Sampson that might be relevant are:

Marriage 23 December 1838
Sampson RANDALL (23)   to Sarah COX (22)

and

Baptisms
18 Dec 1814   Sansom [sic] s. of Lazarus and Sarah Rendell,  lab.

Sampson Randell (lab) and Sarah had a daughter Sarah Ann, baptised 6 Oct 1839.

There is also a marriage for Lazarus Rendell and Sarah Caines (tp) 8 Dec 1806.

Sansom's father Lazarus appears to have been baptised 17 May 1791, son of Lazarus and Hannah Rendell.
There is a possible marriage of Lazarus Rendall and Ann [Hannah?] Watts (tp) 25 Dec 1773.

Lazarus Rendell (snr) was buried on 17 May 1791  [Was his son baptised on the same date because it was handy as they were in the church?!]
and his wife 'Anne Randel wife of Lazarus Randel' was buried 5 Sept 1784. 

You have not given any dates in your original post - but would these dates make sense?

Mike

Entwistle (Bolton and Edgworth)
Cook(e) (Manchester and Warwicks)
Whitaker (Lancs and Cumberland)
McMillen and Palmer (Co Down)
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Lovet, Edwards and Clark (Salop)
Ratcliffe, Walker and Ruffley (Lancs)
Sainsbury (Gloucs, Cornwall and Yorks)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Waterhouse and Haigh (Yorks)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline f stop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Here is the information I have regarding the 'Sampson', 'Samson' Rendells.
There is a Sampson Rendell living in Crewkerne and 2 Samson Rendells living in West Coker.
The 1851 census shows Sampson Rendell aged 29y, Trunk maker, born Crewkerne, with wife Mary A. and 2 children, Richard (3) and Ann (6m) all born in Crewkerne.(Simeon Rendell is living there as a lodger aged 16, a basket maker apprentice.) In 1861, Sampson is still in Crewkerne but a widower with 5 children, and his grandmother Mary Marsh, a widow aged 68, as housekeeper. In 1871 Sampson is still in Crewkerne with Sarah as wife and 3 children. This family have not been found in the 1881 census. 
The 1851 census in West Coker shows Samson Rendall, aged 26y, a baker, born East Chinnnock, with wife Mary and son George (3) and a neice Harriet Chapman (8) born Hardington.
Also in the 1851 census in West Coker is another Samson Rendell, aged 35y, a labourer, born West Coker, with a wife Sarah and three children Sarah (9), Mary (5), and Samson (2) together with a lodger, Robert Cox, a widower aged 56y. All the family including the lodger were born in West Coker. 
The 1861 census, shows a Charles Rendell, living at 42 West Coker Street, West Coker, aged 28y, canvas weaver, born West Coker, with wife Flora and children Mercy(6) and Cornelius (2) and Sarah Baker a widow described as mother in law.
Was Sarah Baker formerly Sarah Apsey?

f stop
Charles Rendell is uncle to James Rendell, my great grandfather.

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
Re:RENDALL Cokers
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 March 09 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have info on two Rendalls from the Cokers if they are of any interest:

- Elizabeth b 1761, Ch Hinton St Georges, m 1777 Merriott, d. 1849, +Merriott who married Edward Murly

- Charles , who I understand married Catherine Murly daughter of the above.

I believe the Murlys and the Rendalls were top makers of Coker White - Nelsons choice of canvas for his ships.

For some reason a lot of records of these villages are often not on line. If you come across anything to do with Murly (not so much Murley - it can be the same family but my connection is with the non e spelled version!) I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Sorry for interrupting

Colin

YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline tbarrett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re:Barrett _East Coker
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 January 16 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chaltis

Regarding your note:
"Also, I'm in the midst of transcribing all the East Coker parish registers and census records and placing them online (see website again) - there's quite a lot of mention of the Rendells."

I am related to the Barrett Family from East Coker, (John Barrett & Mary Ham are the earliest I have found) so anything you transcribe, I would be greatly interested in.

Regards
Tanya Barrett

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 January 16 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tanya

Anything relating to the Murlys would be of interest.

I have links by marriage with 2 members of that family and am in touch with others living in South America and New Zealand.

Thanks and I will look forward to hearing from you! Here is a skeletal list of my Murlys for your interest.

Colin
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline mhgr13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rendell / Rendle / Rendall of West Coker
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 February 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I am related to Giles number 3 (GGGGrandson) but looking for Bartholemew (I think born around 1690 ish or maybe before. There is one sent to Barbados in 1685 but not sure if it's the same or father/son.

My wife is the great-grand-daughter of George Bird born 1815, are you related?

I think my information mainly confirms your own but it goes like this,
There were three Giles Rendals in baptised West Coker namely,
[1]   Giles son of William & Frances Rendal bap. 12 July 1789, he may be the one buried 23 April 1831 aged 42 - known siblings John bap 29 Nov 1798
[2]   Giles son of Lot & Mary Rendal bap. 5 Jan 1790 - known siblings Ann bap 16 May 1785 and William bap 20 May 1798
[3]   Giles son of Abraham & Ann Rendall bap. 7 July 1793.   Known siblings include John bap 25 Dec 1785, Mary bap 8 July 1787, Jane 12 July 1789, and Samuel bap 12 July 1795.   There must be others since they buried at least three more, Elias bur 25 March 1792, another Elias bur 17 Dec 1797, and Edward bur 21 Jan 1798.   Probably all these families were baptising somewhere else as well but I haven't found them.
There also seems to be a fourth Giles, buried aged 59 21 Sept 1844 who doesn't fit any of the above.

Giles Rendall married Mary Rendall 29 Nov 1813 and produced Ann bap 18 Sept 1814 she eventually married George Bird 11 Oct 1846, although we believe she then had an illegitimate daughter Ann aged about 10.   It seems to be a bit of a habit in West Coker.   My bet is that Mary is the sister of Giles [3] who was a witness to their wedding.   But I can't make out whether the husband is Giles [1] or Giles [2].

If that is right then Mary's parents are Abraham Randal mason and Ann Penny, married 8 August 1785.   I haven't so far traced either of them further back.

How does this fit your data?

Offline RendLill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:RENDALL Cokers
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
- Charles , who I understand married Catherine Murly daughter of the above.
I believe the Murlys and the Rendalls were top makers of Coker White - Nelsons choice of canvas for his ships.

Charles Rendall (1792-1879), my 3x great-grandfather. Married Catherine Murley (1799-1881). 1861 Census gives him as draper in Hinton St George.
His son, Walter Rendall (1828-1900), my 2x great grandfather, married his first cousin Catherine Rendall Goodland (she thus becoming Catherine Rendall Rendall).
Think there are some other cousin marriages in Rendall family - also with Murleys - resulting in several x Murley Rendalls - but haven't quite disentangled. Lots of interconnected Murleys/Rendalls/Goodlands around area of Hinton St George, East Coker, Merriott in Somerset. Tendency in family to include mother's surname as middle name.

Meriott website http://merriottfamiliesgenealogy.net may be useful.

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 October 18 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hello

The family are very lucky to be substantially in Dorset where the Online Parish Clerks website is superb.

I have links with the Murly (not as far as I am aware necessarily Murley but they may be one and the same.

More than happy to share any data I have on them and their ancestors. Be specific and let me know who you are looking for and or where they were from and I will be ahppy to forward what I can.

Colin