Author Topic: Death of George BELL  (Read 6616 times)

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of George BELL
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 October 09 04:39 BST (UK) »
I feel a bit stupid as I drove within 48km of Corrigin on a recent trip to WA.
Do you have a direct line to this Bell family Joboy. I am descended from George's brother, Charles. I do have a lot on the family but George was a loose end. An earlier researcher had him as a Postmaster in Narocoorte SA and marrying twice, which was wrong.

Ding
Lincolnshire Bell, Australia Bell, Cornish Peters, Australian Peters, Cornish Martyn, Cornish Pollard.

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 October 09 08:06 BST (UK) »
It gets a bit messy .... I have 'bells' ringing in my ears and with so many incorrectly recorded Bell families claimed since ancestry started it's stuff it has magnified beyond belief ... however I'll start with what I am *reasonably* sure of.
Benjamin Bell and his father (Benjamin) arrived in 1839 aboard the 
Andromache. Also on board were his sisters Azuba (Frances Barker's 
mother) and Maria Anderson (nee Bell) and her husband William Anderson. 

This batch arrived Port Adelaide on February 5th, 1840 on the vessel 'North'
BELL, Ann and children Sarah, Frances
BELL, Isaiah
BELL, John
BELL, Joseph
BELL, Moses

and the two batches are said by some researchers to be related ... I have'nt yet found the link.
My link is to the 2nd batch with Moses who married his brother Isaiah's widow Hannah (nee Day) who had four children and they had a further five.
Moses had been a publican at Hillend during the gold mining boom and was quite well off and the site of 'Belmont' built by the estate of Moses Bell about 1890 which was acquired by the developers of
Blues Point Tower and demolished at the end of 1959.
One of Moses' children was Angelina Bell born 1862 and she married Francis Butler (who is in my line) in 1881.
So I have spent much time and recorded so much about the Bell's hoping that one day a link will 'jump out' at me.
joboy

Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 October 09 09:14 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry to make it messier.
This George arr in 21 Jan 1859(age 12) on the North (same ship!!). with his parents Thomas & Mary Ann (n Gurnell). Also on the ship were his siblings Charles 10,Elizabeth 8, John 6 & Mary Ann 1.

Thomas had a younger brother, George, who arr. on Caucasion in 1853. This George had a son Moses who married his 1st cousin Rachel Bell (one of Thomas' daughters, a sister to George). They farmed in the Beulah area of Vic.

The families of Thomas & George moved to Mount Gambier in about 1869. My ancestor, Charles, married Elizabeth Francis Peters in Mt Gambier in 1872 and they both witnessed the marriage of Charles' older brother George to Ann Moss nee Livingston in Narocoorte on 5th Mar 1878. Both of these families then appear to have lived in the Horsham area of Vic. before Charles and his family came up to NSW in c1894 and George at some stage went to WA.

George Bell snr (Moses' father) had named his nephew George Bell of Nhill, Vic as an executor in his will in 1911. Trouble is he had two nephews called George Bell in the area, unless we can show that this George left for WA before 1911.

I can't see any link between our families except they both came out at diferent times on the same ship, and they both have a Moses who married a close relative. I am confident that the George Bell who married Ann Livingston is in my line as I have the wedding cert. with my G Grandparents signatures.
Hope this is not too confusing
Ding
Lincolnshire Bell, Australia Bell, Cornish Peters, Australian Peters, Cornish Martyn, Cornish Pollard.

Offline Brenda KVH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 October 16 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ding or other Bell relatives,
 Could you please contact me re-George Bell who died in Bullaring/Corrigin as he is my direct line ancestor. I would love to know more info.
Kind Regards Brenda

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 October 16 11:53 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Brenda

You need to make two more posts in order to send and receive personal messages.

You can post anything other than names of anyone who is still living.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Brenda KVH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 October 16 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Ding, I have some information on Bells if that helps. Regards Brenda

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brenda,
Any further information you could supply would be very much appreciated. I sent you a personal message but I don't think you will get it until you do another post.

Ding

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 09:48 GMT (UK) »
This tree has become very large with branches that have a wealth of information and a few very interesting links plus twists and turns so can we keep it out of the 'personal message' area please?
We shall all benefit if we do.
Respectfully,
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Brenda KVH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 November 16 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi - Re George Bell who Married Ann Moss (she was a widower) Ann Moss father was Allan Livingstone who was a Farmer.
George and Ann got married on the 5th March 1878 in the District of Robe, the residence of both was Naracoorte. The marriage was witnessed by Charles Bell and Elizabeth Frances Bell again from Naracoorte. George Bells father is Thomas Bell (above -from the marriage Cert).

They also had children including a George Ernest Livingstone Bell who married his cousin also a widower Maud Melville Vivian whose father was Joseph Bell and mother Louisa Symons .
They married at Warracknabeal on the 17th July 1907( from the marriage cert)

Thomas (father) and George came to Bullaring in 1908 took up land, returned to Victoria. Then George and sons Allan, Charles, George, Thomas, daughters Lilly and Annie May came back (1909) with supplies, horses and dam sinking supplies to Williams/Narrogin area then  Bullaring/Corrigin.
The Corrigin Cemetery has many Bells listed and most a descendants.
Brenda