Author Topic: Cille Choirill Brae Lochaber: Archibald Mcdonald & Ann Gillies  (Read 53396 times)

Offline Dixi Joy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cille Choirill Brae Lochaber: Archibald Mcdonald & Ann Gillies
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 01 December 12 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Unachan thanks for your message, I was not tracing anything to do with St Mary she just happened to turn up, so did Father Coll.  I found a reference that Flora St Mary's mum grew up on Cranachan farm.
I traced my bloodline from before Donald "Eponymous" MacRanald the 3rd Lord of the Isles through to the Cranachans through to Archibald.  
I thought the Gorm reference may have been from the Gorm's of Knapdale? but blue eyes makes more sense.
Anyway I am just trying to find out a little more about Archibald born 1785 Moidart then moved his family to Glenelg Loch Hourn. If he or the Drochoids are not related to the Cranachans then do you know where they came from?
Dixi

Offline Unachan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 01 December 12 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dixi, I have no idea where your Archibald came from, I just cannot find any evidence to connect this Archibald to Cranachan. The only mention i can find of the Cranachan Archibald is on a tree prepared by Father Andrew MacDonell in the early 1900's to correct some of the findings in the volumes of "Clan Donald" published in 1904. Father Andrew has the family Ian gorm, Angus mor, Donald Drochaid, Angus mor Drochaid, Archibald & Mary. Archibald has an illegitimate daughter Mary who is described in another part of the tree as "Mary Drochaid". She is my g.g.grandmother. The Monaro findings came along and seemed to link right into this family and this was splashed all over the internet and was taken as gospel. now your Archibald may very well be the Cranachan Archibald, but no one can show the link or old family papers or just something that can indicate who he originated from, it all goes back to the Monaro publication!! More questions than answers!!!!!

Offline Dixi Joy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 01 December 12 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Urachan, always more questions, I reckon I have proved it to myself by crossing info from 4 or 5 sources to be fairly sure of the the Archi Cranachan line. I can send it to you when I get it a bit more toghether. I found stuff in the Monaro stuff a bit wrong too. 
Why do you think they were called Drochaid - bridge ??? 

My Archibald McDonald b: 1785 Moidart married Margaret Ross McDonald 
is your Mary Drochaid his daughter ?
Dixi

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 26 May 14 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have just found this very interesting thread, and have a little information to add.

I've been looking at the McDonell's who migrated on the Asia in 1838/39, as they lived in the Goulburn district and married into other McDonell's who are related by marriage to my McRae's (who came on the Asia as well)

The John McDonell who came on the Asia with siblings Ann & Neil, has several siblings who remained in Scotland. John was innkeeper at Kinlochuanagan before emigrating. His elder brother Alexander was innkeeper at Lochend until he died, when his wife Catherine became innkeeper. Following her death in 1862, their daughter Elizabeth (born about 1836) and her husband were the innkeepers. You are probably wondering where this is leading.

Well Elizabeth was married to Coll McDonald (the one missing in 1861 in Monica's post) his parents being Archibald McDonald and Ann Gillies (from his marriage certificate on Scot People 4 July 1860 at Lochend).

I was very interested in the mention of Father Andrew McDonell's research as I've been trying to get a copy of his McDonell ancestors as it links to my McRae's through his grandparents, Ranald McDonell and Catherine McRae. Can anyone help with that?

I only have limited knowledge about the McDonald's through Donald Drochoid McDonald and Mary McDonald as their daughter Mary married Samuel Cameron. Was this Donald the brother of Archibald, husband of Ann Gillies?

Hoping to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me about these ideas.

AMH

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 26 May 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
Drochaid means bridge, the family presumably living at one, which?

Skoosh.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 26 May 14 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi AMH

I loved the research on this old post. I am not connected by family, just found the history of it all really interesting. There are certainly people on this thread with huge knowledge on this all, the area and the individual people and history.

Unachan, hope you are well  ::) Hope you are around from your travels to pick this last post up...

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 26 May 14 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I must have had a brain freeze last night, as I made an error. Father Andrew McDonell's grandparents were Ranald McDonell and Margaret McRae, Catherine was her mother.

Also I see now where Archibald's parents were listed, right at the beginning

I always say if researching in Scotland, go sideways, as quite often you came back full circle, with links back to where you started. I have in this case. I started looking at Samuel Cameron's family with a daughter possibly married at Lochend, not knowing the links to the family who came on the Asia with my McRaes', and here I am back to Samuel's wifes family.

Cheers,

Ann

Offline Unachan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 29 May 14 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, I am traveling again, though this time for pleasure. In France now and will be in Lochaber on 7th June. Been away since 1st May. I am very familiar with this family and also aware of the Lochend connection, though will be delighted to make contact with AMH as I was not aware of the move to Australia. Not checking regularly, but see I have a message from AHM.
Unachan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 29 May 14 21:50 BST (UK) »
Great to hear from you  ;) Enjoy your latest travels and glad to hear it is all pleasure! Also good to hear that you can help Ann/AHM with her line.

Take care and enjoy Scotland time in June  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk