Author Topic: cant find marriage  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: cant find marriage
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 20:53 BST (UK) »
I think this is probably the marriage you want.
Sep 1883 - Bethnal Green 1c 439
Edward ALLARD m. Maria BARTRUM

Where did the name Wellings come from? Is it on a cert or something?
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 20:56 BST (UK) »
There is a Maria WELLINGS marrying in Mar 1873 - Bethnal Green 1c 366 - but the possible spouses are Robert Taylor and Charles Williams. Scratch that anyway if Maria was born c1865 that is way too early.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Offline Gill 1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 22:10 BST (UK) »
Maria Wellings is on my Grandfathers birth cert.(Joseph Albert) as mothers maiden name.
I did wonder if there was an early child.I also wondered if they really did get married as in 1884 Edward would have only been19 and may be could not get parental permision to marry.
Lots still to look at now I have more info.Thanks for help.

Gill

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 10:07 BST (UK) »
I do wonder if Maria was married before or if her parents were unmarried and so she used both her mother's and father's names at different times.
I can't, yet, find a probable Maria Bartrum (Bartram, Bertrum, Bertram) or Maria Wellings on the 1881 census. I'll keep looking though.
I also can't see a Bartrum (or variation) marriage to Wellings.

I've come across a couple of cases where a woman has married young and for some reason the spouse died and the woman remarried and was still under 21.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all  :)

Sep 1883 - Bethnal Green 1c 439
Edward ALLARD m. Maria BARTRUM

I'm afraid Maria married the other man on the page - George Frost  (6 Aug 1883 at St James The Less, Bethnal Green) :-\
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tati,
That one bothered me when I woke up early hours this morning. Bethnal Green is London way not Birmingham, so that makes it unlikely, and your find rules it out totally.

What a puzzle this is!

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 11:43 BST (UK) »
OK So Edward is always noted as being born in Birmingham (1871, 1881, 1891, 1901, 1911).
Maria is consistently noted as being born Birmingham also (1891, 1901, 1911).
The first 3 children's births were registered in Birmingham.
So, we are most likely looking for a Birmingham marriage.

I know it's not part of the original question but can anyone find a Maria WELLINGS in Birmingham, or born Birmingham c1865 on either the 1871 or 1881 census?

Gill - did you see this? http://www.mcmullin.plus.com/Pratt%20Website/ind1223.html
The site creator is guessing at an 1887 marriage but in 1911 Edward states married 27 years so c1884 which does fit in with the first child in Mar Q 1886.
There's also a couple of anc trees with Maria on but none seem to have her before the 1891 census.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 11:52 BST (UK) »
Of course it is possible that they never did......marry that is  8)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 12:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's always a possibility - or that they married several children later.

I wonder if the birth certs of the earlier children would show which parish they were born in (Birmingham is a bit vague unfortunately). Then knowing that if we could ask sks to please look up a baptism and see if it gives any more info.

Finding Maria before their marriage would hopefully give some clues too.