Author Topic: French chef: Tessier: British subject (1840s)  (Read 1939 times)

Offline vickifperry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
French chef: Tessier: British subject (1840s)
« on: Monday 12 October 09 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I’m doing a bit of research for an exhibition I’m working on.

I’m trying to trace Charles Tessier, who was a cook at Hatfield House in the 1840s. The problem is, I have him in the census returns, but the only detail given regarding his place of birth is ‘France’. I understand from reading some posts on here that I need to know where in France he was born- is there any way that I can do that? He was born around 1820 and I know that he came to France as a young man (he doesn’t appear in the 1841 census, yet he was Lord Salisbury’s chef by 1844). His father was also Charles, as he appears with him in the 1851 census, also a chef.

He married Diana Rance Wilkinson in 1846. In the marriage index, his middle name is given as ‘Cassimire’ (although I don’t have the certificate yet). By 1861 he has moved to London and he is still a chef up until 1881,which is the last time he appears in the census (by 1891 his wife is a widow). He had two daughters, Hortense and Leonie.

I wonder if anyone could make a suggestion as to how to go about finding details of his birth. I’m particularly interested in why he moved here- I know that a lot of upper class families at this time had a French chef as it was considered to be a status symbol. I’d like to know a bit about his background. I also can’t find details of his death. There is a slight clue, in that he census records him as a ‘British subject’. Is this something he could have acquired after he moved here, or would he have had it since birth, and if so why? A slight confusion is the mis-spelling of his name in several records. I've seen it transcribed as Tessier, Dessina, Fepier and even Tissue!

Thanks,

Vicki Perry
Perry families of Ireland (www.irishperrys.com)
Vendyback family of Medbourne, Leicestershire
Van de Becks of Thorney, Cambridgeshire
Quartermain of Oxfordshire

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: French chef: Tessier: British subject (1840s)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 09 18:54 BST (UK) »
Could this be him in the TNA catalogue? Naturalisation papers for Casimir Tessier in 1870  ref. HO 1/165/A.87
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 09 20:50 BST (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the archivist at Hatfield House?
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archon/searches/locresult_details.asp?LR=2173

Assuming there isn't another Casimir around, those naturalisation papers look like a good bet.
There is a 'Casemir' Tessier who died in 1886 aged 67 on freebmd, died in London - also looks close in age.

(French relatives have a tendency to have a few first names and swap between them).

It would be interesting to know where the marriage took place, too.

http://newspapers.bl.uk/
 - there seem to be some records in 1858 relating to "Charles Tessier", giving evidence for a 'commission of lunacy'.  Can't see the full info without paying, but there is one that says something about "I am now French cook at..." in the preview, so it is probably the right man (or his dad?)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vickifperry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 09:46 BST (UK) »
Jorose, I am the archivist at Hatfield House!  ;D

I'm researching the servants for a display, so it's not my own family history, but fascinating all the same! I'm glad we're easily findable on archon though!

Thank you for that death record- maybe he used both names? I know from my other research that it could be quite common for servants to have their names changed for work. I was speaking to a former kitchen maid a few weeks ago, whose name was Flo, but as there was already a Flo here, and her middle name 'Georgina' was considered to be too 'posh', she was known as Ena! The age is exactly right, and he is also in the right area. It would be a huge coincidence if it weren't the correct one!

The newspaper articles look like they're going to be fascinating....I will have to convince work to buy me 24 hour access- thank you- I didn't know so much was on the BL website!

And thank you Isabel for the TNA catalogue entry. I wasn't sure that it would be him at first, but having seen the other evidence, I think it probably is!

Vicki

Offline vickifperry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 17:06 BST (UK) »
Just a quick update- I looked at the newspaper articles, which are very useful and told me where abouts he worked in 1858- the Carlton Club! Apparently they also have an archive, so I've written to them to see if they have any more information (and maybe, hopefully a photograph).
Thanks again,
Vicki