Author Topic: Help with a name please  (Read 1983 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a name please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 October 09 00:27 GMT (UK) »
JUst had a thought - could it be "Y Consolo/Conseto" with what we thought was an initial letter actually being two letters?

Not sure I've even convinced myself of this, but thought I'd run it up the flagpole  ;) ;D

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 October 09 01:04 GMT (UK) »
I first saw this post 2 weeks ago and didn't want to be a party-pooper with a negative comment.  I would like to see additional parts to the left and right (and above and below) the bit you originally interpretd as "Nosoto the American".

The reason being is that I am unsure it even says "American".  If it does, be aware that at the time it was written it could likely refer to anywhere from the Cape of Good Hope to the Canadian Arctic.  It almost certainly would not refer to what is now called the US or Canada, although I don't think anyone has implied that.

I am aware that some early British explorers brought a few Indians back from these areas, but I think they are all pretty well documented.

Sunnylew, can you tell us what you have deciphered so far from this area of the will?

Regards,

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 November 09 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick,

I'm away on holiday at the moment, so cannot refer to my transcription, but from memory, "Nonsoto" or whomever it is, was bequeathed all manner of waistcoats and fine clothes. Nothing more is mentioned about him than that extract, but I will put a little more up for you to see when I get back.

I had another look at "American" (as I am ever ready to be woefully wrong when it comes to transcription), but I have completed the entire 6 pages, about 6,000 words in total, of that particular will and am convinced that it can say nothing other than American - as far as what that means, I am happy to agree with anyone with a firm opinion, as I know very little about that subject.

I am home in a couple of days, and will put the rest of the bequest up for your opinion. I will also have another look for that first letter elsewhere and seewhat comes up.

Lewis
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 November 09 00:09 GMT (UK) »
This is the transcription I have for this bequest:

16   ................  /Item/ I give unto Nonsoto the American the
   17   blewelaced cassocke or mandelion the white colored pricked slyvers the blewe slyvers A trusse of lynnen
   18   cloth And a dublett of linnen cloth laced which he usuallie weareth twoe newe shirtes of three quarter
   19   broade cloth and more all readie cutt onto his redd coate and capp he usuallie weareth the late bought
   20   lyneings to weare next to his leggs And three shillings and ffower pence of lawfull English money to buy him
   21   another cappe withall ...................

On rereading (I couldn't read "Usuallie last time I went through this) it sounds like perhaps a uniform of some kind, or at least previously provided clothing, is being given to him.

I assume this to mean he was a servant of some sort (or perhaps a petted favourite as Bennelong the last Tasmanian Aboriginal was a couple of hundred of years later?).

Looking at the first "Letter", I know wonder whether it isn't in fact two - a capital I don't know what and a connected "l".

It could be a "Y" perhaps, but, as always with capitals, I am incredibly uncertain as to what it is.

So does Ylonsoto sound familiar or plausible to anyone?

Lewis

Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 November 09 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Hm, I wonder whether instead of an "n", it's an "r"?  as in "Norsolo" or "Norsoto"...still doesn't make sense but I thought I'd mention it!

Sounds like some quite expensive gear is being given to him - how does this compare to what was given to others in the will?