Author Topic: "Guaranteed" Immigrants to New Zealand - 1871  (Read 4248 times)

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Guaranteed" Immigrants to New Zealand - 1871
« on: Thursday 15 October 09 11:29 BST (UK) »
My G-Grandfather, Thomas Osborn Wills JENNINGs, a shoemaker from Tottenham, migrated to New Zealand with his wife and young family. They left Gravesend on 18 May 1871 on board the Shun Lee and were listed as "Guaranteed" passengers - http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ourstuff/ShunLee.htm

I understand that New Zealand was seeking to increase its population at the time, and paid the way for some classes of immigrants, such as young single women, and agricultural workers.  But can anyone explain the difference between "Guaranteed" and "Assisted" immigrants, please?
Jennings/Jenness (Norwich); Jennings (Victoria, Australia); Farrow (Middlesex); Pye (Leicestershire); Service (N Ireland; New Zealand; Victoria); Hollinger (N Ireland); Rohan and Buckley (Co Cork, Ireland); Rohan (Victoria); Keating (Co Clare, Ireland); Lewis (Wales); Baldwin (Staffordshire); Lewis and Baldwin (West Aust); Baird and Davidson/Smith (East Lothian, Sco.); Jack and Watson (Banffshire, Sco.); Bostock (Middlesex);

Offline alamar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: "Guaranteed" Immigrants to New Zealand - 1871
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry

I think the answer lies in the matter of who was doing the paying. In 1871 the Vogel Scheme began and many immigrants received an "assissted" passage in which the NZ Govt paid the appropriate fare. There were other classes of immigrant, firstly those who could afford to pay for themselves or secondly those who were sponsored here by a relative or employer who agreed to pay their fare, thereby guaranteeing it.

You could put your querry on the NZ board but I think the answer will be as above.

Cheers
Alan
Living in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 October 09 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan.

That sounds a very plausible distinction. All of which leaves me with the question of who would have guaranteed them? No - I don't expect you to answer that one!

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,
Gerry
Jennings/Jenness (Norwich); Jennings (Victoria, Australia); Farrow (Middlesex); Pye (Leicestershire); Service (N Ireland; New Zealand; Victoria); Hollinger (N Ireland); Rohan and Buckley (Co Cork, Ireland); Rohan (Victoria); Keating (Co Clare, Ireland); Lewis (Wales); Baldwin (Staffordshire); Lewis and Baldwin (West Aust); Baird and Davidson/Smith (East Lothian, Sco.); Jack and Watson (Banffshire, Sco.); Bostock (Middlesex);

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 October 09 04:44 GMT (UK) »
I'm in Australia,

and I am sure that the RChatters on the NZ board can help with the distinction between Assisted and Guaranteed...  Several of my UK forebears migrated to NZ in the 1870's, some were listed as "Colonial" on their passage records, some as "Assisted" and some as "Guaranteed"...  as I understand it, it was all to do with when, by whom and where the fares were paid....

Cheers,

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 October 09 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, JM.

I will follow up on your suggestion.

Cheers,

Gerry

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 October 09 05:45 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if this posting will help, but interesting for you I hope.  I have copies of a collection of letters written by a New Zealand settler between 1861 and 1893.  In the early days most men arriving in New Zealand were signed up to the Militia to fight against the Maoris and they were rewarded for their services by gifts of land.

Later in 1872 he writes:

"Of course you have seen in the newspaper that you can get out here for half price now, if you want to come, and that single girls, domestic servants can come out free if approved of by the Emigration Agent in England or recommended by a settler here, such as myself for instance.  So if there is any friend of yours that wants to come you can write to me and I will recommend her.  Must be steady, good character etc."

Hope this snippet is useful..... :)
Davies, Juckes, Taylor, Anslow, Turner: Shropshire
Hobson: Yorkshire & Norfolk
Rudd, Muskett: Norfolk
Wilkinson: Leeds & Cumberland
Fletcher, Mandal(e), Kirkhaugh, Sedgwick: Cumberland
Hundleby: Lincolnshire

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 October 09 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi SH100,

Thank you for your post. What a fascinating collection of letters you have! The snippet you have posted is of great interest to me. My GGrandfather stayed in NZ for only about 8 months - I had never imagined that he would or could have been recruited to the militia, but that could help to explain the brevity of his stay in NZ. He was a shoemaker by trade, and I had presumed that he came to ply that trade - but maybe not!
Can you give a name and date for your snippet's author?

Many thanks,

Gerry

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 October 09 06:51 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome, Gerry.   The letters are a private collection of family papers but if you send me a PM I can let you have more information.  I did have a very helpful link to a website about the Maori wars but I haven't accessed it for a while.  I have copied it here and hope it works!

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/war/new-zealands-19th-century-wars/

I'll look forward to hearing from you.
Davies, Juckes, Taylor, Anslow, Turner: Shropshire
Hobson: Yorkshire & Norfolk
Rudd, Muskett: Norfolk
Wilkinson: Leeds & Cumberland
Fletcher, Mandal(e), Kirkhaugh, Sedgwick: Cumberland
Hundleby: Lincolnshire

Offline SH100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile