Author Topic: Reasons for not finding birth record?  (Read 12249 times)

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Reasons for not finding birth record?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 October 09 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Thought this link made for interesting reading. search the page for 'albin' and it will mention what were perhaps some of your ancestors as the townland fits :)

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/u/n/g/Roy-Franklin-Unger-jr/GENE9-0017.html

aljepeka
HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown

Offline amers411

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 October 09 15:03 GMT (UK) »
First off, I just want to say Thank You so much to everyone who has tried to help me, particulary aljepeka.

To Stoor I just wanted to let you know that not all Albin's left for America as you mentioned.  In my research I have found many Albins who emigrated to the PA area of the US and I may indeed be related distantly to them (example being that John Albin may have been a brother or cousin of a ggrandparent say).  My family however was born in Kilmore Parish, Armagh and as far as I know my grandfather and his 2 sisters were the first to emigrate, and they came to Canada.  I am interested in this other Albin family though and may introduce them into my research in time once I have discovered some of my 'missing links'.

To kingskerswell, I too wondered about the marriages to two different women of the same name.  I did find the records though on Irish Family History Foundation, one in 1904 (my ggrandmother) and one in 1917.  The birthplace of the Jane's differed as well as their father's name, one was Thomas and one George.  I was able to find a birth record for the first Jane as well and found out her mother's name too, Isabella Deahan.  The indexed death record you found is the only one I could find as well.  It is most likely her as the date fits but until I am able to see the records myself, I won't know for sure.

Offline amers411

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 October 09 15:17 GMT (UK) »
A continuation of my previous post...

aljepeka, you have given me a ton of information to sort through.  This family seems to be quite difficult to unravel in that they all seemed to come from such a small area of Northern Ireland, I can pinpoint the location within probably 2sq. miles with the use of townlands yet it is very difficult to try to piece together who potential siblings were versus cousins, father versus uncles, and where all the women fit in.  Not to mention that there were so many William's and Robert's, James', John's and Thomas'.  All different ages too.

The tombstone inscriptions are new for me...may I ask which site you got them from.  I think I did sign up for one tombstone site but didn't get any hits.  Perhaps a new search query would help.  At first glance the one erected by Robert for Robert made sense, the townland at time of death is correct however, my Robert Sr. wasn't born until 1876.  I do know however that Robert Sr.'s father William most likely had a brother Robert who had a son Robert so who knows.  See what I mean....:)

Anyway, thanks for all your hard work, I do appreciate it so much.  I'll be sorting through all the info again in the next few days.

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 October 09 04:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Here is the headstone inscription...I hope belongs to your family...two wives both called Jane so :) 

Headstone Inscription at Presbyterian Church, Richhill, Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland

IN
LOVING MEMORY OF
JANE ALBIN, WOODVIEW
WHO DIED 18TH JANUARY 1944
ALSO HER HUSBAND ROBERT
WHO DIED 17TH JANUARY 1962
AND OF HIS FIRST WIFE JANE
WHO DIED 18TH JULY 1915
ALSO THEIR SON LEONARD
WHO DIED 29TH NOVEMBER 1976

Here is were to find it . The site also gaves a nice photo of the church. 

http://www.bob-sinton.com/headstones/all-view.php?cid=24&id=1538&name=Jane Albin&year=1915

Enjoy.

Aljepeka

Send me a PM and I think I may be able to help you a little more as to local places to ask.
Barbara

BOWEN-Tipperary

Offline amers411

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 October 09 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness!!!  It is them  ;D  While it doesn't give me the birth record I so desperately seek, it is one more piece to my puzzle.  Thank you so much.

I will PM you as you requested, I'm not local though.  I was born and bred in Canada, my grandfather Robert (jr) emigrated in 1923.

I so appreciate your time, I really do.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 October 09 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I also find it very strange that both of Robert Albin's wives were names Jane Fullerton.
There is a marriage in civil index for Robert Albin (Apr./June 1917 Armagh registration district volume 1 page 43 with matching details for Jane Fullerton) but can't see 1904 marriage for Robert Albin there. Emerald Ancestor's index search for Robert Albin marriages shows one in 1904 Co. Armagh and one in 1917 Co. Armagh.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 October 09 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Re. same name for bride.  It  does happen.   My GGGrandmother Catherine Fitzsimmons also married twice  both times to a man called David Gibson. Apparently the  grooms were not related to each other.   So far I have not investigated as to whether or not they were related but I do have both marriage records.

And as parents tended to call  children after themselves and Grandparents etc... and cousins had the same names etc maybe it is not so unusual for this to happen...if you follow what I mean.   ???

Aljepeka
BOWEN-Tipperary

Offline amers411

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 31 October 09 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Got to thinking about the inscription and wonder if you have any idea what their reference to 'Woodview' was?  I started to think maybe I was wrong about there being 2 Jane Fullerton's but all of my source material points to it being right...I don't think it is a maiden name but I could be wrong.  Any ideas?

Here's the inscription again to make it easier:

Headstone Inscription at Presbyterian Church, Richhill, Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland
Last visited July 2008 

IN
LOVING MEMORY OF
JANE ALBIN, WOODVIEW
WHO DIED 18TH JANUARY 1944
ALSO HER HUSBAND ROBERT
WHO DIED 17TH JANUARY 1962
AND OF HIS FIRST WIFE JANE
WHO DIED 18TH JULY 1915
ALSO THEIR SON LEONARD
WHO DIED 29TH NOVEMBER 1976

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 31 October 09 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Got to thinking about the inscription and wonder if you have any idea what their reference to 'Woodview' was?
IN LOVING MEMORY OF JANE ALBIN, WOODVIEW
Woodview was perhaps the name of their house.

Re. same name for bride.  It  does happen.
I know of a case where a woman married 2 cousins with the same name (and boy did this confuse us for a long time until the marriage certificates proved who her 2 husbands' fathers were!
However, would have liked to find Robert Albin's 1st (1904) marriage in civil index but perhaps marriage didn't take place in Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!