Author Topic: Brussels family in Roscrea  (Read 7635 times)

Offline 101millie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brussels family in Roscrea
« on: Sunday 25 October 09 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Hope you can help.

I'm looking for any information on my nans relatives by the name of Brussels in Roscrea. My nan (Chrisie Brussels - married name Molloy) and her brothers and sisters left for Liverpool sometime around the 1920s. One of her brothers was named Martin Brussels. My nan had three children Margaret, Martin and Eddie (Eddie emigrated to Australia). My mum Margaret, dad Frank and children Mike and Kev visited Roscrea in the 60s and remember that there were quite a number of Brussels that lived in the same street. Some of the Brussels worked at the local sausage factory.

If you have any information whatsoever, I'd be very greatful of any help.

Kind regrads,

Mike.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Brusels family in Roscrea
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 October 09 19:15 GMT (UK) »
There's two Brussells families listed in Green Street, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary on the 1911 census .. see

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tipperary/Roscrea/Green_Street/824277/

and

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tipperary/Roscrea/Green_Street/824279/

There's a Christina listed at the first address, born about 1904

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline 101millie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 October 09 13:38 GMT (UK) »
hi shane what a fantastic response from you. your information is spot on my nan  christina is the young girl age seven on the list. thisi is a great start anymore information that you can help us with this is the first time i have tried to find  my irish relatives  i have irish blood in me and proud of it, best regards mike.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 October 09 14:53 GMT (UK) »
By putting 'Brussells Roscrea' in the search engine, a Liam Brussels won two All-Ireland club hurling medals with Roscrea in 1969/70.
Other information there also.

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 October 09 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Check out the BMD site at:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=2;t=searchable

You'll find marriage for Martin 1902, and births for Martin 1885, Mary 1902, Christina 1905, Lizzie 1907 and Richard 1910.

Good luck with your research.

Dara.

Offline 101millie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 18:45 GMT (UK) »
hi   thanks for the information on my relatives in roscrea.this is a great start for me .best regards mike.

Offline 101millie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brussels family in Roscrea
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 November 09 12:42 GMT (UK) »
 hi i have had a great deal of help and advice of this site which is fantastic,but i need a lot more so all of you who live in roscrea do you have any contact or live next door to one of the brussels family,  who come from green street,did you work next to them at the sausage factory,also i want to find out a lot more about life in roscrea in the 1900s and life and times of roscrea workhouse,and how did thr poor peoplel live day to day.  my nan used to tell me a lot about the nuns and the local priest of the day not sure of his name she would also tell me about when the black and tans visited her house and the village, and how badly they were treated . best regards mike   

Offline noreen2045

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 April 13 03:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think we may be related. My grandmother was Sally Brussels from Roscrea. My mother told me that Sally Brussels was one of 17!!! Sally was born in Roscrea in 1914.  Sally Brussels died at 24 from TB in Dublin at the Fever Hospital. Lizzie Brussels was a witness at the church when she got married to a John Mahon in Ranelagh, Dublin. Not sure what happened to all the other Brussels. I have a brother called Martin as well as two other siblings. Would love to compare our stories.  Noreen

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 April 13 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Noreen,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

Just received your "report to Moderator". 101Millie has not been online since 2010, we will see if we can get a message to her  :)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk