Author Topic: Can anyone offer any advice?  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Can anyone offer any advice?
« on: Friday 07 May 04 13:43 BST (UK) »
For the past few months I have been trying to trace my grandmother Clara May Morgan nee Brenan's family history.

Unfortunately she never knew who her parents were. She was brought up by William and Lucy Taylor (nee Knee) who lived in Bisley, Gloucestershire who she believed to be her grandparents. I have found out (from the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses) that William Taylor was a Tailor, and that Lucy Taylor was a Dressmaker and I believe that when my grandmother was living with them they owned a general store in Bisley.

When my grandmother was alive, she wanted to try and find who her parents were. She managed to obtain a copy of the school register where she was listed, and it said she was originally from 42 Danbrook Road, Streatham and 'in the care of Mr and Mrs Taylor', she also applied to get a copy of her birth certificate but was told there was no trace of her at all. She did have a baptismal certificate when she was younger, which said she was baptised/christened at St Andrews Church, Guildersfield Road, Streatham, but unfortunately this was lost through the years and when she tried to get a copy of the baptismal register (in the hope that her parents names may be on this), she was told that the baptismal register for St Andrews Church, Streatham had been destroyed by a fire in 1970.

I know that she was born on 24th October 1906 (or 19th October 1906 as in the school register)

I have tried to trace her in the national register, but to no avail.

I have found that a family by the name of Brewer was living at 42 Danbrook Road in the 1901 census, but is there any way I can find out who was living at 42 Danbrook Road at the time she was born?

I have managed to trace the Taylor family (mainly Lucy Taylors (nee Knee) family (brother/s) to the London area using the 1891 and 1901 censuses.

Are there any more registers or records that I could possibly use to trace my grandmother?

I would be very grateful for any advice anyone could give me.

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Catherine

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Can anyone offer any advice?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 May 04 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi!

Is there a possibilty the year of birth could be out, as there is a birth entry on the freebmd site..

Birth of Clara May Morgan
Registered in June 1905
Ref 6a 503
Registered in Ross
Which covers the boundries of Gloucester

Just a possibility

Catherine    :)

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re:Can anyone offer any advice?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 May 04 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you checked with local libraries or achives offices for an electoral roll for Streatham for the year 1906?  

Sasha.  :)

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone offer any advice?
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 August 04 23:00 BST (UK) »
Isn't it a Clara May Brenan birth we are looking for?  That sounds as though it might be an Irish name.  What was on Clara's marriage certificate, if you have it?
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley