Author Topic: Welsh Gravestone translation. Help needed please  (Read 10291 times)

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Gravestone translation. Help needed please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 March 05 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that Trystan.

I'm really  intrigued now.

The family were coalminers who lived in Llangafelach ( clydach and Ynystawe)  - all the butlers in  all of the censuses in that area are one family, stemming from Thomas Butler ( my husband's G, G, G grandfather, Ive traced them all) . Ive got to the earliest one who was born there  in 1803 ( Thomas Butler who says he was born there). But can't go back in that  area any further - my guess they , his parents ,moved in from either methyr ( which there are a few around the area), or Bridgend ( Bridgend the Welsh Butlers seem to congregate the most if you look at the IG,  they seem to go back really early there 1400 and older)

Found their deaths  ( and their gravestones), and weddings in the parish records when I went home earlier this year - but not one Butler baptism in the records over the many, many  centuries/years that these families were there,   either in the two churches were they wed and were buried at ( makes me think they are non conformists) - they all were born, wed, lived, and died  over the years from 1800 to 1900's in the area ,but did not get baptised

I'm having a bit of difficulty with them. The Butler's of Llangafelach ( the oldest one , hubbies GG G grandftather "Thomas 1803" - He is  Welsh and not English ( as I know Butler is a "common" name in England etc) - I can tell from the censuses , and all their gravestones ( which are all in Welsh) of the earliest ones  and "modern" ones in our tree - they spoke Welsh only, and no English at all.  So that tells me the earliest ones , who ever they are  are Welsh too, but don't come from the area Llangafelach before Thomas Butler 1803. I couldn't work out what that one  above said though.

This is off the gravestone of  one of the brothers of my husband's Great great grandfather. I didn't want to post the whole gravestone, although the husband died in 1891 ,the wife  on the headstone only died in 1921 at the ripe old age of 89, someone's mother who is probably living today.

I also have a snippit off info from the family, that someone fell down a mine shaft and died, but they don't know who it was -I'm guessing it is this line somewhere. Which one it is I've yet to find out.  I  think I need to order a few death certs, hubby's G G grandfather included,  as he died at a sort of  young age, in his  early 50's

I'll see if I can find the whole Pslam on the net, I don't have a bible.

Thank you  again  :)

P.S - I have just found it on the net, I see what you mean about powerful stuff .

I can't get my head around it at  first glance.

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline LynneA1980

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Gravestone translation. Help needed please
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendent of Thomas and Jane Butler, if anyone is interested in sharing information, also I have some photos of gravestones including the one mentioned, thanks