Author Topic: gardner/gardiner family  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
gardner/gardiner family
« on: Saturday 07 November 09 20:32 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandmother, Marion Gardner (or Gardiner), was born in Airdrie in 1849, the daughter of John Gardner (1821-97) and Mary Taylor (1818-56), who married in Shotts in 1841.  John Gardner's parents were John Gardner and Marion Robertson who married in 1802.  Mary Taylor's parents were William Taylor and Agnes Shanks who married in 1804.

My great-grandmother had several siblings.  John Gardner (born 1842 in Kirknewton)  married Janet Black in 1864 and died in Glasgow Royal Infirmary in 1873 of injuries received in a train crash.  Agnes Gardner (born 1845 in New Monkland) married William Wilson and is believed to have emigrated (date unknown) to the United States with him and their 7 children.  William Gardner was born in Ardrie in 1846 (no further information).

I would be glad to hear from anyone who has any connection to this family or any information concerning the above individuals, particularly Agnes Gardner and William Gardner.

Offline Fiona ST

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: gardner/gardiner family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 January 16 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margow

Have just found your posts about the Gardner family.  My gr gr grandfather was the John Gardner who died as a result of a train crash and who had married Janet Black.  They had three children; John Gardner (b. 21.10.1865) , Elizabeth Brownlie Gardner (b. 25.4.1868) and Mary Gardner(b. 26.3.1871)

Elizabeth was my gr grandmother.  She married Alexander Hardie Smith on 21.6.1892 and had 4 daughters.

Let me now if you would like to know more about this branch of the family.   I didn't know that John Gardner had siblings so can't help you with information about them.

Regards Fiona ST

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: gardner/gardiner family
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 16 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for getting in touch.  I did know about the three children born to John Gardner and Janet Black.  What happened to Janet after John's death ?  Did she remarry ?

What you have found is my first post about this family which brought in no response.  I therefore reposted in May 2014 and this second post brought in a great deal of helpful information, particularly about Agnes Gardner (your g g grandfather's sister).   Agnes and her husband, William Wilson, did not in fact emigrate, as I had thought, although some of their children probably did.  Agnes died in Wishaw in 1911.

Your g g grandfather also had a half-sibling.   After Mary Taylor's death in childbirth in 1856, John Gardner married Margaret Dunbar and they had a daughter, Anne Gardner.

If you are interested in knowing more, I can PM you once I have excavated my notes and put them in order (may take a little time !)

All good wishes,
Margow