Author Topic: BLAIN married Annie WALKER.  (Read 13568 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: BLAIN married Annie WALKER.
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 19 August 12 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Chipping in even later, I've only just seen this thread.   John Walker Blain born 11 January 1903 married my mother's sister - he was known as Jack.  I know he had a brother called Merrick.  I also know that his mother lived to a good age and I remember seeing her on many occasions at my aunt and uncle's house.  I remember she became rather a thorn in the side to my aunt. I'm racking my brain for her name, but only ever remember her being called Mrs Blain. 

If anyone from the original thread is still around, I'll try to look up further info for you.

Lizzie

Offline shelley007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 August 12 05:39 BST (UK) »
HI, I am still researching this family!!! All of Frank's children have passed now but there are many Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren that would still like to know more about his family.
Annie Oultram Blain was Frank's sister and she was married to Arthur Blain last quarter of 1901.
Annie was the daughter of Ellen Walker and James Oultram, she was born 1880 in Delamere and died in 1915(?), which I question. I believe that she left James and lived elsewhere. Their other children are Merrick, Eric William, and John Walker Blain.
James remarried a lady called Martha Nickson in 1889, she died in 1939.
Merrick died in 1960, he is the first cousin 1x removed of my husband, who died in 2011. He was called David, he died of lung cancer and his mother was Irene Marion, she died in 2005 of stomach cancer.
Merrick married Elsie Sanders, I do not know if they had any children.
Hope this helps.
Shelley in Canada

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 August 12 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelley

I'll get back to you when I've looked up the info I have.  I can definitely confirm that the mother of John Walker Blain (my uncle Jack) and Merrick Blain definitely did not die in 1915 as I met her and I wasn't born until 1941.  It's possible that the death of an Annie Blain in Norley in 1961 (which Odessa found) is correct,  in the back of my mind is that she was over 90 when she died and if she died in 1961 she would only have been 82.  Perhaps she just looked very old.  My uncle and aunt had one son, born in 1942.  I'm not in touch with him so don't want to let you have his name as he is still living.  I know he is married, but I haven't a clue whether he has any children or what he does/did for a living. 

I wish I'd seen your original query in 2005 as my mum was still alive then and could have answered lots of your questions. 

Lizzie

ps.  I don't know anything about the Walker family, only the Blains.  I know my aunt met John Walker Blain in/around Norley when she was visiting another branch of the family who had a daughter of similar age that she was very friendly with. 

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 20 August 12 17:47 BST (UK) »
I’m a bit confused with this comment you made. 

“Annie was the daughter of Ellen Walker and James Oultram, she was born 1880 in Delamere and died in 1915(?), which I question. I believe that she left James and lived elsewhere. Their other children are Merrick, Eric William, and John Walker Blain”. 

Presumably you were told that Annie died in 1915 and that it was Ellen who left James Oultram and lived elsewhere.  If james remarried a lady called Martha Nickson in 1889, perhaps it was Ellen who died in 1915.  Also if James and Ellen parted and James re-married in 1889, it's possible that your Frank Walker, wasn't the son of James Oultram.  Perhaps Ellen registered him as Oultram to make his birth appear legitimate, or if she died in 1915 James Oultram took him in and raised him as his own son,  but then Frank later found out that he wasn't an Oultram so took his mother's maiden name as his own.  I can also see why he may have fallen out with James Oultram if he wasn't his real father.  Interestingly, Findmypast have a baptism for a Frank Oultram, birth 1 December 1892, which ties in with the birth Pete found.  However, his father's name is given as John and on the 1901 census there is an Outram .  I've run out of ideas, I think you need to find a birth around 1889 for a Frank Walker and see if his mother was called Ellen.

Re Eric William Blain, supposedly a brother of Merrick and John Walker Blain.  I’ve never heard of him.  There is a birth of an Eric Williams Blain in 1905, but on the 1911 census he is living at The Bank, Kingsley with George and Mary Harvey (Mary was born 1884) and shown as a stepson, there is also a child called George Arthur Blain aged 1 month shown as a son.  The Harveys stated they had been married less than 1 year.  Looking for marriages, there is one in 1910 of a George Harvey and a Mary E Blain.  Looking for Mary Blain on the 1901 census brings her up living with her widowed father Thomas Blain.  I’m sure there is some connection between Mary Blain and her father Thomas and the other Blains, but I can’t find it without a lot of searching and it’s not really the Blains you are interested in.

There was a will proved on 14 June 1937.  Arthur William Blain of Sunny Bank, Norley, Cheshire died 21 April 1937.  Probate was issued to his widow Annie Blain, effects £1107 10s 5d. 

I knew I was correct when I said that I thought that Mrs Blain (nee Annie Oultram) was in her 90s when she died.  I also thought, but didn’t mention it last time, that she was still alive when my aunt, her daughter in law, died suddenly in 1967.  I’ve found her death in Jan-March quarter 1975.  Her date of birth is shown as 25 January 1879.  So she was about 95/96 when she died.  I remember my mother saying when my aunt died that Mrs Blain had got what she wanted, to live with her son Jack!  which is why her death is registered in the Trafford area rather than Cheshire where you were probably looking.
Looking at the Parish record collection on Findmypast, Annie (nee Oultram) was baptised on 30 March 1879, parents James Oultram and Ellen so that fits in with a birth of 25 January 1879. 

Merrick Blain of Norley, Bow Green Road, Bowdon died 23 March 1960 at Golf Links Delamere, Cheshire.  Probate was given to his widow Elsie Sanders Blain on 25 May 1960.  The effects amounted to £10,263 7s 10d.  Presumably he died of a heart attack or something as his place of death is given as a golf course.

On a different topic, you mentioned that your sister used to live at Blake Lees Farm, Kingsley and your youngest daughter spent her first Christmas at Blake Lees.  There was an Okell family living there in the mid to late 1800s who seem to have been friendly with my 2 x g.grandparents as one of the Okells was an executor of my 2 x g.grandparents wills, along with my 2 x g.grandmother’s brother.    

Lizzie

Ps.  Presumably you have Frank's attestation papers.  Does it give an address for Annie Blain, or just Norley? 

The James Oultram who married Martha Nickson in 1889 is shown as a cattle dealer on the banns.  He also states he is a widower.  Not unusual in those days, but a bit dodgy if you are re-marrying in the same place as you live and your wife is not deceased but just left.

Offline shelley007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 24 December 16 16:56 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Hi, so very sorry for being so late in replying to you but life got in the way! My ex-husband (now deceased) is the person that is connected to these families, and of course, our children. I am researching very infrequently these days... my ex's first cousin is still researching as she is directly connected to these families.
Annie Walker Blain was supposedly the sister of Frank Walker. I do have copies of his attestation papers and the info given is conflicting. Different parents, different birthdates, but they are one and the same person. He obviously did not want to be found..his own daughters were not given much info over the years either. Regarding Annie "LEAVING" James, NO, I was referring to Ellen...but I believe that Ellen passed away, she did not leave. But then that also means that she could not be the mother of "Frank" The cousin I mentioned has had her DNA done and there is definitely an "Oultram" connection!. Will be in touch again, soon...I promise!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 26 December 16 23:39 GMT (UK) »
That's OK, the Blains/Walkers are not my ancestors, it is just that John Walker Blain married my aunt (my mother's sister).  If I can help with anything else I will, but the only info I've got is from knowing John Walker Blain as my aunt's husband so, therefore, he was my uncle, knowing his brother was called Merrick and I think I met him a couple of times and also knowing John Walker Blain's mother who I saw many times before she died.  From memory she was a thin woman always dressed in black but when I was young many old widows did dress in black.

Offline shelley007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 04 March 19 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie! We are researching again...Jane got her DNA done and is definitely related to an Oultram! Hope you are keeping well! All the best!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 04 March 19 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for letting me know.

Offline shelley007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eddisbury...I tried to access your blog, but apparently I need an invitation! I do pop by every now and then....Cheers! BTW... email addy is family found at netscape. net    no spaces and the sign for at...