Author Topic: Henry NEWSON decd NZ aged 80 in 1920 born Harwich?  (Read 9442 times)

Offline Linda NZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Newson decd NZ aged 80 in 1920 born Harwich?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Well, thank you so much for all that information Trish, I have not yet received the marraige cert for Henry, it will be interesting. This is my first time on this site, my "cousin" Colin has started me off.  You have given me so much to look into! Many thanks for your time. 

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,
Welcome to Rootschat :)
I will see what else I can find.
I am awaiting with anticipation the info from the Cert.

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Marriage;
Henry NEWSON
June 1839
Woodbridge
12 715
On same page is a Sarah GOODING

Could some other kind Rootschatter find any other info on this Marriage please ;)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Linda NZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry NEWSON decd NZ aged 80 in 1920 born Harwich?
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 November 09 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,
The second marriage of Henry Newson in 1898, says he is born in Suffick, his father is Thomas Newson, a fisherman and his mother is Mary nee Ellison. Henry told at least 2 of his sons that his real name was Watt and that he fled England bound for Australia and took the name of Henry Newson, a crew member who died on board ship. He then "jumped ship" and went to NZ. His death cert, if correct would put this about 1858. He married in Wellington NZ in 1862. (just a story quite probably, however...) The Watts and Newsons are neighbours in the 1841 and 1851 cenus, there are 2 boys aged the same, Henry Newson and Alfred Watts. Interestingly the names of my Henry's children born in NZ, are the same as Alfred Watts siblings. So I am trying to find out what happened to Alfred Watts and Henry Newson from the 1841 and 1851 census..
I have found a Thomas Watts married to Mary Ann Ellis in 1832 in Walton Suffock, where Mary was born, Thomas is from Flelixtowe, his mother was Jane Passiful and there is also  a Newson who married a Passiful, so maybe Alfred watts and henry Newson (from the census) were even cousins?  I admit I have not really "digested" this as yet, let alone made sense of it.  Any thoughts?

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 November 09 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Congrats o pulling that all together!

I wonder if you might get Dad to consider giving a gene sample, for comparison purposes if/when you find some Watt male line descendants?

Colin
YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline Langdon-Northamp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 23:10 GMT (UK) »
There is a Henry Newson who married in 1863 in new zealand to a Sophia Dowsett?
Could that be him?
Langdon, Palmer, Smith, Manning

Offline Shaye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 November 17 22:20 GMT (UK) »
This Henry Newson is my Great Great GrandFather.
Absolum, Newson, Watt, Lennard, Brady, Hansen, Langdon, Marriott.. and everything in between.

Offline Shaye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 November 17 22:21 GMT (UK) »
There is a Henry Newson who married in 1863 in new zealand to a Sophia Dowsett?
Could that be him?
Absolum, Newson, Watt, Lennard, Brady, Hansen, Langdon, Marriott.. and everything in between.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 November 17 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaye,

Colin is still active on Rootschat.
Linda hasnt been on Rootschat since 2010 so hopefully is still around and will see this.

Quote from Linda NZ;
The second marriage of Henry Newson in 1898, says he is born in Suffick, his father is Thomas Newson, a fisherman and his mother is Mary nee Ellison. Henry told at least 2 of his sons that his real name was Watt and that he fled England bound for Australia and took the name of Henry Newson.

Were you aware that Henry married twice?

2nd Marriage NZ BDM;
1898/1519   Mary Ann Sophia Nixon/Henry Newson

Trish :)