Author Topic: ROSS Family  (Read 5661 times)

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ROSS Family
« on: Wednesday 18 November 09 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Anyone with information on the Ross family?  Andrew Ross, born abt 1799 Thurso, parents Alexander Ross & Janet McDonald.  Andrew married Christian Margaret Chisholm in 1819 in Dingwall, Ross & Cromarty.  Christian's parents were Colin Chisholm & Catherine Campbell.  Andrew, Christian & their children emigrated to Australia on the "Asia" in 1839.  Thank you.
milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ROSS Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 November 09 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Emjaye,  Andrew Ross? more of a Ross-shire name than a Caithness one!  I'm interested in your Grant/Gray combination, not from Urray, Ross-shire by any chance?......Skoosh.

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 November 09 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skoosh,  no not Ross-shire, sorry.  I have  Elizabeth Grant, parents James Grant & Margaret Duncan, born 15 Sep 1833, Cairnie, Aberdeenshire.  In 1855 she married George Gray, born 26 Sep 1832 in Cruden, parents Peter & Christian.
milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline Peter Chisholm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 03:33 GMT (UK) »
We are related Peter Chisholm
                      (*) Tasmania
Christian Chisholm was one of mygggrandfathers daughters born Dingwall R&C
Scotland 22-3-1795.
Have you been able to go back any further with Chisholm and Ross?

(*) Moderator Comment: address and e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter..!!!
Great to hear from you.
You are actually related to my niece and her dad(my half brother), just to confuse you...lol.  I am researching both sides of the family tree.

The only information I have further for Andrew Ross (1799) are that his parents are Alexander ROSS & Janet McDONALD (no dates).

Christian CHISHOLM's parents are Colin CHISHOLM (born 26 Sep 1765 R&C) & Catherine CAMPBELL.  No dates for Catherine.

Colin CHISHOLM's parents:  William CHISHOLM & Isobel McKENZIE. No dates.

Have you come across the book by John Robert Peach called "The Biggest Ever Mining Swindle in the Colonies".  Well worth a look,  here's the link:

www.peachbooksales.com.au/

If you have any further information, I would be very appreciative.

emjaye