Author Topic: Robert and Joshua STEVENS  (Read 3978 times)

Offline alansdad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert and Joshua STEVENS
« on: Sunday 29 November 09 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information on Robert and Joshua STEVENS who were sentenced to transportation in 1831. Both were involved in the swing riots and received 14 years transportation, and although Joshua died in 1836, Robert was given a full pardon and then disappeared. Did he return to Gloucestershire? or was he given some land in Australia. Both men were from Chedworth.
GLS - Cove, Autrey, Watts, Roberts, Stevens
Sutherland - MacLeod, McLeod, Bannerman
Devon - Watts
Hants - Watts
Wilts - Stevens, Cove

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert and Joshua STEVENS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alansdad

I assume you've exhausted all avenues at the Oz end of things?  Do you have any indication of the occupation or age of Robert in any records?  Did he leave a family behind that you're aware of? When was he pardoned?

Just trying to narrow it down a bit!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline alansdad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

Robert was pardoned on 24th April 1837. Other family members have checked some sites in Australia (mainly Tasmania, as that was where he was transported to) but as yet have found no trace. Any suggestions for sites we might have missed? Joshua was about 45 and Robert about 50 when they were deported and both left family behind. Joshua's wife was my Great Great grandmother and lived at Chedworth, Glos. I have looked in the churchyard but can find no 'Stephens' there, but at the time they were travellers, so may well have moved on. In formation about Joshua and other brothers was obtained from Chedworth Historical Soc. in a document about the 'Swing Riots'. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Happy Christmas
Alansdad :)
Devon - Watts
Hants - Watts
Wilts - Stevens, Cove

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I've just today replied on another thread - someone researching Thomas, the grandfather of your two rioters.  I've not had a reply so not sure whether you two are aware of each other?

I'll find you a link presently if you need it.

I'm afraid I'm no help on Tasmania at all, but your comments lead me to a better impression of what we're looking for in the UK.  I take it then that you haven't located the family left behind - do you know names etc for them?

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 20:28 GMT (UK) »

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 20:49 GMT (UK) »
There's a Robert married to a Mary in Bourton on the Hill in 1841 of about the right age - but without corroborating information, I wouldn't know him if I tripped over him!

:D

Offline alansdad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

Thanks for the link to Vera, I have posted a note to her today. As for the Robert and Mary at Bourton Hill, I will check that out

Thanks again
Alansdad
Devon - Watts
Hants - Watts
Wilts - Stevens, Cove

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 21:57 GMT (UK) »
That Robert is a carpenter - what did yours do?

Please tell more - I feel like I'm operating in a vacuum here!

:D

Offline alansdad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 December 09 17:00 GMT (UK) »
My Robert was a Farm Labourer when he was arrested, as were all his family. I have details of the family that were left behind (his brothers and sisters) and have followed links with them to contact other branches of the family where a lot of information has come from. It is very likely that Vera, who I am sure is related to me, may have some more information but at the moment we can find no trace of Robert from the time he was pardoned in 1837. I have to admit that by then he would have been in his mid fifties, and as he was single when arrested it is more likely that he remained in Australia rather than make the long journey home, but as yet we have not found him.
 :)
Devon - Watts
Hants - Watts
Wilts - Stevens, Cove