Author Topic: Rhys John Davies MP  (Read 15013 times)

Offline Chloe7b

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rhys John Davies MP
« on: Monday 30 November 09 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with Rhys John Davies MP born 1877.

I found a bibliography for him and as it stated his Mother and Father. I thought I couldn't go wrong tracing him........................bad mistake................I could only find him on the 1901 census lodging with, I presume, his brother.

In the bibliography it states his Father is Rhys Davies , Tinplate Worker, Mother Ann (nee Griffiths)

So, can anyone find something on the censuses that I am missing or is anyone related to him out there?

Many thanks,

Chloe

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rhys John Davies MP
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 November 09 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chloe

Could be him in 1881....Rees J. Davies aged 3 b.Llangennech, father Rees (widow)...

Sarah :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline Chloe7b

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 November 09 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks sem I must have missed that one :)

Chloe

Offline Aeron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 August 11 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Chloe.  Since you posted your information on here you may have found more about Rhys John Davies M.P.  As it happens I'm currently doing some research into his brother Thomas and I know a lot about the family and where they came from.  Thomas Davies had connections to my home village and I know where he's buried, along with his mother and also his father (who remarried after the death of his first wife) when Rhys (born Rees) would have been only a few years old.  Thomas and Rhys were coalminers in Ton Pentre, Rhondda for many years and whereas one went on to become a very important political figure as an M.P. for Westhoughton, Greater Manchester, the other became an Independent Minister and a renowned bard.  I'll be more than glad to share this information with you, but do not wish to repeat myself if you've got some of this information already.

Hope to hear from you.

A.  :)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Aeron  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

Once you have made 3 posts, you will be able to use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data (e.g. family names, email addresses) with other Rootschatters.

See Help-Page: http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline Chloe7b

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Aeron,

I went to send you a pm but you have the max, so here it is on the forum

Hi Aeron,

I have been going through some of my paperwork and I notice the surname Issac pops up.  Percy Issac was at the funeral of Daniel Davies my husbands grandfather.  And I have noticed that Rees and Thomas boarded at Joseph Issac’s home in 1901.  I wonder if Issac is the connection.

Liz

Offline Aeron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,

It's great to hear from you.  I'm new to Rootschat and haven't quite got the hang of it yet.  I'm not new to family history research though.

Thomas and Rees (Rhys) would have been at Ton Pentre in 1901.  Thomas wrote a book that year too.  They're not related to me in any way, but I do own something that was won by Thomas, and he died in 1944 in Pembrokeshire.

I don't know much about his brother Rhys, other than he was an M.P. for Westhoughton for thirty years from 1921 until 1951.  He died in 1951 at Porthcawl and had three children.  Do you think anyone of those played cricket at county level?

Will not be able to reply now until tomorrow, but I think we might be on to something good here.  I'll be visiting Thomas' grave during the Bank Holiday weekend as he's buried with his Mother at Bryn Seion Methodist Chapel, Llangennech - the village of their birth.

Take care for now,

Aled (Aeron)

Offline Chloe7b

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Aled,

My husband has tried to contact his cousin and has left a message for him, so hopefully by tomorrow I will know a bit more.

Sounds very intriguing.

Liz

Offline Glyn Davies

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
I can help you further. Rhys John Davies was my Great Uncle by marriage via my Grand mothers side of the family, the Rees. Indeed Rhys John Davies would have attended the funeral of Daniel Davies as Pembrokeshire is where that particular side of the Davies branch hailed from before moving to Glamorganshire etc.
I know from what my Grandmother informed me that John had two sons, one emigrated to Australia and became a doctor, the other remained in the U.K. and had children who live in the Nottinghamshire region.
My grandmother and grandfather frequently met John, as his wife was my Grandmother's cousin - both my grandparents were Welsh as were my parents.
To understand where John was brought up, I suggest Narbeth, the Davies family croft house still stands.

Glyn Davies.