Author Topic: Laughlins  (Read 9194 times)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Laughlins
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Mo,  What was Elizabeth's father's name?  I have found a Henry Loughlin (note spelling) living in Ballyhenry,  Carnmoney Parish,renting just a house in 1861.  There were a few Kerrs living in Ballyhenry at that time.  RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline Mo37

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosemary
Elizabeth's father was William Kerr and her mother Mary Craig. They came from Antrim town as far as I know and had a large family (13 children I think).  Henry Laughlin was born in 1838 but his parents were married in 1824. You would think there must be other children born before Henry but I have not been able to find them. As to the other spelling (Loughlin) we found a writing copy book belonging to my father when he was aged 8 where he had spelt his name with an 'o'. Our name was always spelt with an 'a' and my father couldn't give us a reason as to why he had written it with an 'o' . He was quite elderly when we asked about it so I think his memory was failing.

Mo
Stirrett, Service, Kerr, Laughlin - Antrim
Killough, McKay, Neely Armstrong - Kilrea
Rankin,Love, McNeely - Bready/Strabane
Burling - Cambridge
Irwin, Gault - Limavady

Offline Mo37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey

What is meant by  'LDS record for Henry is submitted not extracted and needs to be verified'?
 We  have Henry Laughlin's birth recorded as 1839 in an old family book but when I started to research the family I found a Henry Laughlin born 28-03-1838. He seemed to fit all other information we had about him (ie married 13-01-1866 and died 20-01-1886). Could I have been researching the wrong Henry?

Mo
Burling - Cambridge
Irwin, Gault - Limavady

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 21:29 GMT (UK) »
There are two types of LDS records- Extracted and submitted. Extracted records are those extracted from records such as birth registrations, marriage registrations, census, etc. Submitted records are ones which have been submitted by LDS members (and others)- some of these may be taken from actual records (as the extracted ones are) or they may be estimated dates and relationships- they need to be verified.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mo37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation Agadowey.

Mo
Burling - Cambridge
Irwin, Gault - Limavady

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 January 11 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Mo,  In History from Headstones there is this entry:
Carnmoney CI, Carnmoney, Antrim
LAUGHLIN,
The family burying ground of Henry McLaughlin, Belfast (no information)
I don't understand why it says McLaughlin, but Belfast I can understand, because Carnmoney is so close to Belfast, but I think you should send for Henry's death certificate, as that might contain the odd clue.  Have you the birth certificates for any of his children?
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 January 11 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Rosemary Joan,

Sometimes with Irish names the Mc bit can be added or detached. (Similarly with O' as in say O'Regan). So McLaughlin & Laughlin can be the same person or same family. And for indexing purposes both would often be cross referenced. (Mc broadly just means son of).

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 January 11 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Mo,  I see that Henry and Elizabeth had
William Henry, born 1867
Robert Alexander born 1869 died 1870
Robert Alexander born 1871
John born 1875
All in Whitehouse district. These are all extracts from Civil Registration.
 If Robert Alexander the child was buried in Carnmoney, I suspect that his father Henry would be buried there also.
I also note that Elizabeth and the three remaining sons are all living in Antrim town in 1901 (see census).
RosemaryJoan

Offline Mo37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 January 11 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi RosemaryJoan

I have the information for Henry and Elizabeth's children. Their eldest son William Henry Kerr Laughlin (born 02-02-1867) was my Grandfather. I ran into problems trying to find Henry's siblings - if he had any. I've been to Carnmoney burying ground. There is a Laughlin grave there. I can't find my information at the minute but I think it was a James Laughlin and his wife Margaret and also his daughter. I couldn't find any relationship for them to my Great grandfather.
All Henry and Elizabeth's children seem to have been born in the Whiteabbey area. My Grandfather was a builder by trade in Antrim town so I would imagine that he would have marked his parent's grave in some way. His mother (Elizabeth) died in 1910 but they are not buried in the family grave in Antrim Cemetery. I wasn't interested enough in family history until my father was too elderly to remember where their burying ground was.
I will just have to keep searching!

Mo
Burling - Cambridge
Irwin, Gault - Limavady