Author Topic: Michael Black my great-grandfather - born 1876 in Derry  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Marlene T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Michael Black my great-grandfather - born 1876 in Derry
« on: Saturday 12 March 05 14:07 GMT (UK) »
If anyone knows what became of Michael Black, my great-grandfather I would be very interested to receive any data.
He ran away to sea at the age of 14 - eventually ending up in USA, where he remained for 14 years and was given citizenship.
At some stage he returned to Derry met my great-grandmother and married, they had thirteen children in all in between his voyages.  After the birth of the last baby she died that same day, and so did the baby a few hours after her.  He returned home some months after this to sort out his affairs and having given my grandmother the eldest child at 13yrs some money, he said his goodbyes and was never seen again.  They did however hear that he had gone to France and was later drowned.  This was disputed though after a description of the dead man was given to my grandmother who claimed it was not her father.  Some months after that an article appeared in a national paper to the effect that he had returned to New York USA, this would have been circa 1914/15.  That was the last that was ever heard of him.  My mother, his granddaughter is still alive and would love to know what happened to him???????

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Black my great-grandfather - born 1876 in Derry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Marlene,

There is a possibility since your great grandfather was a merchant seaman that he may be mentioned in TRANS/2A   Shipping Records from 1863 - masters, crew, name, job description, next of kin and ages. These records are in the Public Records Office in Belfast.

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline Marlene T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 20:15 BST (UK) »
Dear Christopher

Thank you for your helpful advice, I will look into that as soon as I can.  Unfortunately my husband is seriously ill and I cannot devote any time at present to do anymore research, I will though have ample time on my hands at some stage in the not too distant future as he has only a few months left to live, and I will no doubt be thankful for something to fill my thoughts with.  Thank you again,

Marlene

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 20:39 BST (UK) »
Dear Marlene,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to read the sad news. I am sure I speak for everyone who posts on the RootsChat forums when I say you will be in our thoughts and prayers over the next few months.

Best Wishes,

Christopher

Offline Marlene T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 May 05 22:30 BST (UK) »
Dear Christopher

Thank you so much for your prayers and kind thoughts, it is aat times like this you realise just how many genuine people there are in this world.  I am so lucky that I have so many people thinking of us, we have only been in Scotland less than two years having sold our home on the outskirts of Wolverhampton in 2003, but the people in Dumfries and Galloway are so kind and caring and have made us feel very welcome. 

I also have my friends from my old parish of St. Christophers would you believe, in particular an elderly gentleman who converted to the Catholic Church when he married his dear wife Chris many years ago, sadly she has Alzheimers now and he is not in the best of health, but can still find time to pray for others.  God Bless you again for your kindness,

regards Marlene Burdett