Author Topic: Gretna Green Marriages  (Read 3800 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Gretna Green Marriages
« on: Sunday 06 December 09 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Question:
   Have all the Gretna Green Marriages ..after 1855 been registered with Scots People?
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gretna Green Marriages
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 December 09 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think Gretna Green marriages you are referring to were Irregular Marriages allowed under Scottish Law and were not registered at all.

Andy

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 December 09 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes...I am aware of the irregular marriages that took place in Scotland...at Gretna Green ...they were often just written on scraps of paper and some were even entered into a book...such a book was kept by 2 ministers of Gretna Green ,father and son,by the name of Laing,if my memory serves me right...now my question still stands...did Scotlands people ever get these records transferred to the Scots People web site?
Reason I ask is...I tested one by the name of Thomas Waldie married at Gretna Green in June of 1866 and it does not show up on Scots. People.
Has any one else run into this same situation ??  ::)
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 December 09 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The best people to ask might be Scotlandspeople themselves. I do recall reading that at least some of the Irregular marriage information is held by the GROS but haven't heard of them either being online or proposed to be. Its not a subject that I've had cause to explore yet in my Scottish families

Andy

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 December 09 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Did Thomas marry Ellen Connet?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 December 09 02:57 GMT (UK) »
June the 30th
Thomas Waldie from the Parish of Hawick in County Roxburgh, and Ellen Connet from the Parish Hawick in the said county Roxburgh were married this thirtieth day of June 1866 years

Simon Lang

Jannet Wannop(?)
Mary E Wannop(?)
Thomas Waldie X his mark
Ellen Connet X her mark

(the Wannops look like serial witnesses  :))

I don't think SP have Gretna marriages. One of mine was not on SP but found elsewhere which proved quite costly to purchase. Ancestry have digitised Gretna marriages.

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 December 09 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes Ruskie that is the one...not my Waldie tho..but that is OK...I was just wondering about those irregular marriages if they ever made to to SP...and yes..Ancestry.com has just added them to their site...
...we all need all the help we can get.
Thanks for the reply ... :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 December 09 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Oh I thought Thomas was one of yours ....  :)

This is the site I mentioned before:
http://www.achievements.co.uk/services/gretna/index.php

They won't be happy that Ancestry have Gretna marriages ....  ;)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 December 09 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie...went and checked out that site..always good to have backup places..in case...
Nope...those folks will be ticked that Ancestry.com has that info...now if Ancestry can just get their transcribers to transcribe  correctly...he he
                                      ::)