Author Topic: GLASSERTON/PENNINGHAME M.I. LOOKUP?  (Read 3977 times)

Offline amg2512

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GLASSERTON/PENNINGHAME M.I. LOOKUP?
« on: Thursday 17 December 09 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hope someone can help me, am research my Scottish roots and a big part of my Family appear to have been in Penninghame.   The names are McCulloch and McKie, my big interest is John McCulloch
who died at Rouchon Farmhouse in 1904, he married three times, Isabella Wallace, Mary McNairn and finally Marys' sister Jeannie (Jane).

Having found John in all the census from caring for his paralysed father to losing 3 wifes, I have become very fond of him, and of course would like to find out about 5 other children from 2 of the marriages.   John would be my Great Grandfather.

Grateful for any information or pointers.
Many thanks
Alison  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: GLASSERTON/PENNINGHAME M.I. LOOKUP?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 December 09 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison

Not adding anything to the previous children from John's marriages, but an interesting snippet here from an old post on another forum:

http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/read/SCT-WIGTOWNSHIRE/2003-01/1042055558

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amg2512

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 December 09 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, thank you for that, how did you find it?  I am intrigued as to why this man would set a quiz or whatever it was for this particular marriage, if I can find a way to contact him, I will.

What he obviously does not know is that there was another birth, a few months after John and Jeannie/Janes' marriage, that of my Grandmother, it's still a huge mystery to me as her birth certificate records her as Margeret Hathorn McNairn however marriage and death certificates she is Jean McCulloch.   In the 1901 census this poor baby is shown as Margaret McNairn, 1 year old and a boarder.    I do know it's the same person, I have the birth certificate.

Whilst I know that Jeannie/Jane died in childbirth, I am not aware that the child survived.   My Grandmother, for whatever reason moved to Edinburgh and of course I am intrigued to know what happened to these children with their parents dead before they are 5 years old.   I guess until Scotland opens the 1911 census I am not going to find any further info.   Unfortunately although my Grandmother only died in the 1990's, I never knew her and my Father now longer here, never talked about her.

This is the brickwall in my tree although I have traced the family back I need to bring her forwards, she has siblings and I believe they all had a close relationship.
Regards Alison

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 December 09 19:45 GMT (UK) »
I think a valid point raised on the old post is the fact that at the time John and Jeannie married, it was illegal to marry your dead wife's sister. There was a post today by chance discussing the changes to these laws on the Common Room board www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,425281.0.html

So, whilst John and Jeannie did marry, they did go back home where people would have known the relationships and history. Would explain perhaps why birth registrations were done in the way they were.

I see Jean found lots of info already on www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42088

There's some more info on here picking up on the McNairn side (if you go down the page for Mary/John McCulloch http://jamcnairn.com/Genealogy/mcnairn7thgeneration.htm

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk