Author Topic: Ellen and John Taylor from Blaris?  (Read 7756 times)

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen and John Taylor from Blaris?
« on: Friday 25 December 09 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on my gr. grandparents, Ellen and John Taylor. I know that their children were baptised in All Saints Eglantine Church in Blaris, Hillsborough. They lived in Culcavey,
Ellen and John were married 17, July, 1877
some of the children were
sarah Jane ?1878?
Henry b. 1882
Samuel b. 1885
Joseph b.1888
 I don't know if they are on the 1911 census, can't find them. Waiting for the 1901 one
 any information will be greatly appreciated.
Co.Antrim- Boomer (Bulmer), Partridge, Houston, Alderdice,
Co. Down- Leckey (lackey etc), Taylor,

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen and John Taylor from Blaris?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 December 09 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    I am having difficulty locating this couple. Do you have the lady's maiden name?

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 December 09 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if John Taylor had died before 1911? If so, this could be Ellen and two sons in census-
Ellen TAYLOR 58 widow Church of Ireland with Samuel 26 and John 24
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Shankill/Charleville_Street/150809/

And, if the above is correct, then Ellen TAYLOR, 16 Charleville St. (also Samuel and Sarah) signed Ulster Covenant in 1912. (search for surname 'Taylor' with address 'Charleville' to see results, view signatures).
http://applications.proni.gov.uk/UlsterCovenant/Search.aspx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 December 09 22:42 GMT (UK) »
The ages are right with Ellen, samuel. John I don't know but is probably their son also as Sara Jane named her first son john.
I got their baptisms from the church in Blaris. I know the whole family wasn't listed due to the keeping of the records at the church.
  The covenant was signed in 1912 and as my grandmother,                                             
Sarah Jane was the eldest, she was already married and in Canada by 1908. Maybe it was a wife of one of the boys.
Thank you for that, I will try and find the marriages of the boys. I hear that the 1901 census will be ready by early 2010

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 December 14 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if John Taylor had died before 1911? If so, this could be Ellen and two sons in census-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Shankill/Charleville_Street/150809/

And, if the above is correct, then Ellen TAYLOR, 16 Charleville St. (also Samuel and Sarah) signed Ulster Covenant in 1912. (search for surname 'Taylor' with address 'Charleville' to see results, view signatures).
No I don't have her birth name, that seems to be the problem with these two families Taylor and Leckey   L(a)ckey.. thank you for you search.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 December 14 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Lots of new resources have come online since you started this topic in 2009 but I'm still struggling to match the information you posted with any actual RECORDS.

Could we start from scratch please. You've listed some baptisms from Blaris- are you sure these are the correct family? Church of Ireland baptismal registers usually don't list maiden names which is unfortunate. I know it's difficult if records are incomplete or missing but one of the worrying things is that the baptisms imply the family lived in the area for a number of years yet I cannot find birth records for Henry, Samuel or Joseph in Lisburn registration district (or anywhere else in present N.I. counties either).

Back in 2008 kingskerswell wasn't able to find a marriage for John Taylor to Ellen (and her's always been extremely good at locating marriages as well as other information). I have checked GRONI's own index (now online) and there is no John Taylor marriage on 17 July 1877 listed so my next question is- where did you get the date from?

The Belfast family I mentioned was only a possibility from the details you provided and may well turn out to be a different Taylor family so might be best to concentrate on your Taylor details for the moment.

Now for the questions about your grandmother... Sarah Jane Taylor born c1878? where did you get her age and parents' names from? when and where did she go to in Canada? when & where did she marry and die (and under what names)?

Hopefully we will eventually get to the bottom of this mystery  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 January 15 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Jane

I am looking for any information on my gr. grandparents, Ellen and John Taylor. I know that their children were baptised in All Saints Eglantine Church in Blaris, Hillsborough. They lived in Culcavey,
Ellen and John were married 17, July, 1877    Ellen's birthname was Taylor
sarah Jane ?1878?
Henry b. 1882
Samuel b. 1885
Joseph b.1888
 I don't know if they are on the 1911 census, can't find them. Waiting for the 1901 one
I am looking for any information on my gr. grandparents, Ellen and John Leckey. I know that their children were baptised in All Saints Eglantine Church in Blaris, Hillsborough. They lived in Culcavey,
sarah Jane ?1878?
Henry b. 1882
Samuel b. 1885
Joseph b.1888
 I don't know if they are on the 1911 census,I can't find them. Waiting for the 1901 one

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 January 15 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on my gr. grandparents, Ellen and John Leckey. I know that their children were baptised in All Saints Eglantine Church in Blaris, Hillsborough. They lived in Culcavey,
sarah Jane ?1878?
Henry b. 1882
Samuel b. 1885
Joseph b.1888