Author Topic: John & Ellen McKillen  (Read 7008 times)

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
John & Ellen McKillen
« on: Saturday 26 December 09 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I seem to have come to a dead end with brother & sister John & Ellen McKillen, I know what happened to their brother George, but can only find births/christenings on LDS for John & Ellen. I would be grateful for any help
Many thanks

Edit

More info:

John 1877 Craigs, Antrim parents Rose Kane & Patrick McKillen
Ellen 1879 Craigs, Antrim ''                        ''
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
Scotland - Barnes, McKillen, Kean, Ross, Steel
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John & Ellen McKillen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 December 09 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Previous McKillen thread here:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369287.0.html

IGI shows 3 children for Patrick McKillen and Rose Kane:
1. George born 23 Feb.1875 Craigs district
2. John born 27 Apr.1877 Craigs district (mother Rosey)
3. Ellen bon 17 June 1879 Antrim, Ballymoney, Cork, Ireland [this is a mistake with a large batch of IGI records and should read Ballymoney, Antrim, Ireland]

Hve you checked civil index for deaths? Have you searched for them in Scotland? Perhaps if you tell us exactly which sources you've already checked we can find more information or suggest other places to try.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 December 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have looked on LDS and Ancestry, I did look on Scotspeople, but it was costing too much (I was looking for other family members also). I tried to find the family on an Irish site, I can't remember the name, but didn't have much luck.
Many thanks
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 December 09 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration index and 1911 census online (free) and 1901 should be coming online soon:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 December 09 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration index and 1911 census online (free) and 1901 should be coming online soon:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search

Many thanks for that, I'll start looking :-)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 December 09 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Parents were married on 12 Apr 1874 in St. Marys Roman Catholic Church, Rasharkin, Ballymoney.
I can find a family of brothers and sisters in the 1911 census with all the right names but birth dates are way out living in Shankill, Belfast.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 December 09 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that, I have a Patrick Mckillen in the 1851 census aged 2, Living with :

Elizabeth Mckillen 38
Jane Mckillen 36
Mary Mckillen 6
Charles 66
Charles 7
Henry 34
Henry 6 months
all High street Larne, not sure if it has anything to do with my family, but it is around the right time.
I have had a look on the sites above and no luck. I was hoping that someone else would have them in their tree, but there is only one other and they have the same as me. I will try and find some parish records as they were RC.
Many thanks, Sam

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 December 09 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Some of this information, such as the 1874 marriage is already on the other thread. As was mentioned before, Larne is nowhere near Rasharkin/Ballymoney and you can't assume the Larne record is the correct McKillen family (only fragments of 1851 census survive).

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 December 09 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Soe of this information, such as the 1874 marriage is already on the other thread. As was mentioned before, Larne is nowhere near Rasharkin/Ballymoney and you can't assume the Larne record is the correct McKillen family (only fragments of 1851 census survive).

I am aware of this, you said it before, but I can not find a birth for Patrick in the right area at the right time. I do not think that 40 odd miles is nowhere near! The only things that I know for sure other that  what I have stated above is that Patrick was a shoe maker and that he had either a brother or cousin called Daniel Mckillen born around 1846.