Author Topic: POW - how do I find out more?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline samhuzz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
POW - how do I find out more?
« on: Monday 28 December 09 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My grandma has asked me to find out more about someone she befriended in the war. His name was Hans Angermuller and he was born on 20 Sep 1923 and died 23 October 1967. He was a German POW in Shady Lane POW camp, Stoughton, Leics. She would like to know where he is buried and any other info, but I don't know where to start?

Any advice?

Thanks, Sam
Towers Leicestershire
Pollard Cornwall
Willoughby Oxfordshire
Whatton Staffordshire/Leicestershire
Knifton Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire
Burke Galway
Moran Galway
Tuohy Galway
Costello Galway

Offline elizabeth5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: POW - how do I find out more?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi if your granmother knows the death of this man and date how did she get this information.liz   

Offline elizabeth5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi my father was badly injured on Dday  he was in the 325 glider infantry  usaf  and he lived at Bakewell st Leister his  job  after the war 1945  was   to look after german prisoners in Shady Lane the strange part was my granmother was german Edith Hundredmark  and he could not look them in the eye he always stated.I have a lot on Leicester stuff if you give details I will tell you where to go to continue your search.elizabeth

Offline Bernie_fozzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 11 13:44 BST (UK) »
I found this post very interesting as my grandafther was also a POW in the shady lane camp who married my grandmother while he was there and settled in the UK. he unfortunatly died before I was born so I know nothing about him or his Polish/German roots. I'm trying to trace some information on the camp and where he was was born. What unit he was... basically any info on the camp and records.

If Elizabeth 5 is still an active user it seems like you have some interesting information on the camp?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 September 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
This may help - contact the Record Office to see if your rellies are mentioned -a link to the records office is at the bottom left hand corner

http://www.culture24.org.uk/places+to+go/east+midlands/leicester/art29600?ixsid=
good luck
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford