Author Topic: Can anyone find this bad girl, please!  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone find this bad girl, please!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's why I said she couldn't have done the full five years.  But she should be under supervision somewhere so soon after the sentencing in 1891.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline shan42

• I am sorry but my email is not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Member
  • "Genealogists do it with dead people"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Digressing a bit here, but thanks for the stories... I used to work in that area of Brum (our building was an old silversmith's) and often used to daydream about what life was like years ago - a local lady we knew wrote a book about the Jewellery Quarter as she's lived there all her life, maybe her grandparents knew Lavinia!
Mitchell, Irish, Solloway - Worcs
Rainsford - B'ham
Blackwell - Glos
Hale - Glos
Timms - Glos
Benton - B'ham
Hadwin - London
Linfield - Surrey

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I bet a lot of people knew Lavinia, by the sound of it!  ;)  I thought she would be a sound bet for an appearance on the Birmingham Pubs Blacklist (just released by Ancestry) but no luck, sadly.  Still, something else may turn up.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Thought I would come back and update this story.  At last I have picked up Lavinia's trail!

The 1939 Register was the breakthrough, as I found only one person in Birmingham called Lavinia with her birthdate of 7 Dec 1877.  This was a Lavinia Rooney.  She seems to be alone in the household, so I didn't pay to open the record but worked back from there.  I looked for a marriage, and found a marriage between Anthony Rooney and Lavinia Davis in 1925.

The electoral rolls showed Anthony and Lavinia Rooney living at 76 Wellington Street from 1920 onwards.  Anthony died in 1933 and Lavinia married a George Thomas Lees in Q4 1940, then died in the same quarter. 

I went back to a 1911 census return that I had kept.  This was for a Lavinia Davis, brass polisher, purporting to have been married to Matthew Davis, a brass caster, for four years.  I couldn't find a likely marriage so kept this on the back burner as "Matthew Davis" was the name of Lavinia's father and I smelt a rat!  The address was 3 City View .... Wellington Street!

Ancestry has the Birmingham rate books so I looked up this address for 1912 to find that 3 City View was the same property as 76 Wellington St, and the occupier was ..... Anthony Rooney!  So I had the slippery couple bang to rights.

In view of everything else, I think Lavinia must be the brass polisher in 1891 in Park Lane.  Either she did not go to the reformatory after all, or it was another Lavinia Davis in the theft case.  I haven't found another candidate, but as there are no details in the report it's a possibility.

I've still not found Lavinia in the 1901 census (Anthony was a private in the Warwickshire Regt. in barracks at Colchester).  She is probably skulking under another name somewhere.  ;)

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 February 16 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Well done.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 February 16 21:08 GMT (UK) »
We cant say she wa born bad but she was a little devil wasnt she

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 February 16 22:57 GMT (UK) »
She was a handful and no mistake!  I suspect the illness and death of her mother might have sent her off the rails.  Eliza died of MS with hemiplegia, so things must have been hard for the family, and Lavinia was only seven. 

I haven't found any more references to her in the newspapers though, so it looks as though she kept her nose clean, or at least didn't get caught!  She was with her Anthony for over 20 years and at the same address, so she settled down in life.  Perhaps I'll be able to find out more some day.