Author Topic: Rogers Family  (Read 15516 times)

Offline supermiffy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rogers Family
« on: Sunday 03 January 10 13:47 GMT (UK) »
 HI, I'm tracing my Rogers Family tree.

The Rogers were prominent ORGANISTS around Ireland in the 19th and early 20th century. I believe they were fairly well off.

My grandfather Brendan Rogers, was born at Eblana Halls in  Dun Laoghaire c August 8th 1901   (with him living in  6.4 Fitgibbon Street , Rotunda in the 1911 census) but his father Brendan J  Rogers came from Navan.

Griffith Valuations puts 2 Rogers in  Pollbwee,Navan,(Blackcastle Demesne) a Patrick and a Peter... I don't know if these are  in anyway related. The placename Donaghmore comes up too.

Are ther still Rogers in this area and is ther an..um...ancestral home still standing or photos of it?

Thanks

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Other information I have is from a publication The Organist issue 325

"ROGERS, BRENDAN J., Eblana Hall, Kingstown Studio, 112, Graf ton Street,
Dublin. Born at Navan, Co. Neath, Ireland.
Trained under his- father and elder brother. Organist St. Patrick's Cathedral, PrimatiaL
Diocese of Armagh, 1866 ; St. Mary's R.C. Cathedral, Dublin, 1882.
Official Organist Irish International Exhibition, 1907 ; winner of
first prize Orchestra Competition in Feis Coed, 1894. Holder of many
Professorships. Composer of a number of works given in Ireland not
published. Hobbies and recreations : literature, gardening, mechanics,
cycling, whist, bridge, etc. "

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rogers Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 10 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Have you searched for any of the family in 1911 census yet? (1901 should soon be added to the site)
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline supermiffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 January 10 19:01 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks for the welcome.

I have checked out the 1911 census which was really useful. I was able to find my grandfather and get an accurate date of birth, his father and my great great grandfather.  I seemed to have missed out on a generation before but I guess this happens when Christian names are passed down the generations... in this case Brendan Rogers.

Unfortunately, the Rogers in Meath seem to predate the census. My great-great grandfather lists being born in County Meath on the census form and that would be c. 1852. It appears that he came from money so I am wondering if there is another way to trace him. I would assume they would have a rather grand house as they lived in a mansion house in Dun Laoghaire that boasted 6 pianos! Also the Rogers seem to be well educated as each generation and their spouses and children can all read and write with my great grandfather teaching music at a boys school in Malahide.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 January 10 22:20 GMT (UK) »
If the family had some sort of music school they might have been listed in local business directories, newspapers, etc.
Dun Laoghaire is south of Dublin city and Malahide is to the north but presumably transport to and from Dublin was quite good in those days.
If you know the family's relsigion and where they lived you might be able to find baptisms, etc. in church records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 January 10 14:04 GMT (UK) »
found a possible marriage on the Civil index for Brendan Rogers in the registration district of Dundalk :

Name: Brendon John Rogers
 Registration district: Dundalk
 Record type: Marriage
 year: 1867
 Volume: 2 / Page: 938

Name: Kate Glynn
 [same index details]

If this is the correct marriage then a cert from the GRO should show father's names and occupations which may help your search...

p.s.  112 Grafton Street  was  Pigott  & Co. (ltd)  pianoforte & musical instrument merchants...  later McCullagh McPigott

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 10 15:17 GMT (UK) »
(by kind permission of Noel Farrell)

1901 Navan Town Roots(taken fron 1901 census)

Alexander Reid (25)
Rogers Bridgetm Maggie.

Barrack lane (1)
Rogers Michael & Mary; Margarite, Bernard, Joseph, May. Bridie, Lilian, Christopher, Michael.

Bridget st (25)
Rogers Michael, Bernard, Margaret, Josephine.

Fair Green (9)
Rogers Pat & Mary; Michael, Henery, Annie, Mary.

There are no Rogers mentioned in Thom's 1938 Directory of Navan Town.

Electors List 1937/37 Navan Town;
Athlumney;
Rogers Bernard, Mary.

Barrack lane;
Rogers Mary, Michael, Patrick.

Blackcastle Demesne;
Rogers Margaret.

Cannon row;
Rogers Christopher, Mary.

Emmet tce;
Rogers Bridget, Henry, Joseph, Mary, Matthew.

Liscarton;
Rogers Mary, Michael, Josephine.

Poolbot st;
Rogers Annie, Michael.

St Patricks tce;
Rogers Hilda, Margaret, Mary.

Pubs in Navan; (1892)
Rogers Michael, Trimgate st (Lord Russell)

Offline supermiffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 16:26 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks shane,  I really appreciate your help.  I didn't know that Brendan Seniors name was John.

The dates fit with the length of marriage (43 years ) at the time of the 1911 census. His wife is listed at Catherine on the census but i think  Kate will do nicely.

I never had a maiden name for Catherine before either. Will do some research on the Glynns/

I am planning to pop over from Scotland in the summer, basing ourselves near Navan so I would love to have a look around to see if I can find any traces  of the family.

They were Roman Catholic but i do think they left the Navan region completely for Dun Laoghaire.

This Brendan was also the resident organist at St Mary's Pro Catherdral in Dublin. Do you think  he have been buried in their graveyard or somewhere closer to Dun Laoghaire. I thin k the Church that was nearest Eblana Halls is now a shopping mall.

found a possible marriage on the Civil index for Brendan Rogers in the registration district of Dundalk :

Name: Brendon John Rogers
 Registration district: Dundalk
 Record type: Marriage
 year: 1867
 Volume: 2 / Page: 938

Name: Kate Glynn
 [same index details]

If this is the correct marriage then a cert from the GRO should show father's names and occupations which may help your search...

p.s.  112 Grafton Street  was  Pigott  & Co. (ltd)  pianoforte & musical instrument merchants...  later McCullagh McPigott

Shane

Offline supermiffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
 Thank you!

I have found out a few things from Pat Rogers who is a cousin... His father was Captain Kelly Rogers and he gave me the information about the school in malahide which I have recorded somewhere.  I should dig that out!

I mentioned that Brendan Rogers worked at the Pro Cathedral in Dublin, would that be the same church the family went to or wouldf that be lkept more as a workplace.
 I would naturally assume that is where the family would have attended but also know it can be silly to make assumptions.

If the family had some sort of music school they might have been listed in local business directories, newspapers, etc.
Dun Laoghaire is south of Dublin city and Malahide is to the north but presumably transport to and from Dublin was quite good in those days.
If you know the family's relsigion and where they lived you might be able to find baptisms, etc. in church records.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks shane,  I really appreciate your help.  I didn't know that Brendan Seniors name was John.

The dates fit with the length of marriage (43 years ) at the time of the 1911 census. His wife is listed at Catherine on the census but i think  Kate will do nicely.

I never had a maiden name for Catherine before either. Will do some research on the Glynns/

I am planning to pop over from Scotland in the summer, basing ourselves near Navan so I would love to have a look around to see if I can find any traces  of the family.

They were Roman Catholic but i do think they left the Navan region completely for Dun Laoghaire.

This Brendan was also the resident organist at St Mary's Pro Catherdral in Dublin. Do you think  he have been buried in their graveyard or somewhere closer to Dun Laoghaire. I thin k the Church that was nearest Eblana Halls is now a shopping mall.

the old RC (St Michael's) church burned down in 1968 but was replaced - see : St Michael's - Irish-Architecture.com   As far as I remember the church is very close to Eblana Ave - the shopping centre is across the road (Marine Rd).

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests