Author Topic: PLESTED Chesham  (Read 8118 times)

Offline HannahB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PLESTED Chesham
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Paul, I have got quite a bit of your Plested family tree.  My mother was Ernest Plested's sister and she and I did quite a bit of research at one time.  One of my cousins and I still do the occasional check. 
I need to check my records but one thing I can tell you now is that there were two sisters left in Chesham when they moved to Wales.  The oldest daughter was Jean (Lacey), the second Ruby (Arnold). Jean had one daughter and Ruby two daughters and one or two sons. Ernest had three brothers and two sisters. All are now dead as are Jean and Ruby.
His parents were William Charles Plested and Theresa Cook Rance.  The father was a shoemaker. He died of TB at about 50. Nan (Theresa) died in January 1961. She was 83 or 84.
I have records going back to about 1770 on some on the family and will be happy to share with you. This is the first time I have ever used this site and I do not know how to procede with this.
New York/Ontario: Buchan, Cronmiller/Kronmuller
Sussex: Harman   
Chesham, Bucks: Plested, Dell, Dwight, Sedgewick, Cordery, Rance.
Alabama: Howton, Anderson, Palmer, Massey, Gwin 
Gt. Gaddesden, Herts; Cook
London/ Bristol; Bellamy, Child
Scotland; McLeod, Shannon
British Columbia: McLeod, Simpson

Offline renu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 December 11 10:45 GMT (UK) »
sorry for the delay regarding Cordery family in Chesham but I had a thought....which you probably also had. Rebecca Rance (formely Cordery) possibly died 1870 age 65 in Amersham, she would fit if your Rebecca was born in 1805. This ties in with 1851/1861 census but not 1841 (born in 1811...but counting errors are very common). It is possible that Rebecca married again after her husband James died sometime after 1861. Sophia b 1830 Chesham/Amersham was a Plaiter and unmarried in 1881 living at Amy Lane King Arm Lane Chesham, her daughter Matilda b 1851 Chesham/Amersham and her grand daughter Theresa Cook Rance b 1876 was living with her in 1881. Theresa married in 1896 I believe to a William Plested. I assume this is your line.

I can't find a clear baptism either for Rebecca Cordery. did you get her birth place from the 1851/61 census? Let me know please

Offline HannahB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 December 11 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Renu, yes, that is my line.  I am new to proper genealogy and obviously my record keeping is not as good as it should be.  I found the marriage of Rebecca Cordery and James Rance at the Chesham library when I was there - but where? My notes (from the marriage record) say that they were both born in Chesham but I do not think that can be right.  I found two James Rance's who could be candidates, one baptised July 20, 1806 in Beaconsfield and the other baptised Oct 21, 1804 in Great Missenden.  Somewhere I picked up a family connection to Great Missenden.
I some time ago made a list of information I needed to find and next to Rebecca Cordery's birth I penciled in b. 1805.
I did have Rebecca dying in Amersham but if she remarried she did it very quickly because James died June 1868.
The Kings Arms on Amy Lane (actually that part is now King Street) is still there and still a pub.
After my grandmother's (Theresa Cook Rance) father (William Cook) died her mother Matilda married a man called Thomas Fassnige May 17, 1884 and had at least two sons, one of whom died young and the other I vaguely remember meeting as a very young child.

If you can wait that long, next time I come to England (probably in the Spring) I will go back to the library and retrace my steps carefully.  As I remember last time I did not have my glasses or anything much to write on!
In the transcription of Chesham PR 1637-1730 (The People of Chesham) there are no Corderys but there are Coudrey, Coughtry, Coultry, Coltry, Cufftery etc. all lumped together in the index.  This could be the same family - or not!  Hannah

New York/Ontario: Buchan, Cronmiller/Kronmuller
Sussex: Harman   
Chesham, Bucks: Plested, Dell, Dwight, Sedgewick, Cordery, Rance.
Alabama: Howton, Anderson, Palmer, Massey, Gwin 
Gt. Gaddesden, Herts; Cook
London/ Bristol; Bellamy, Child
Scotland; McLeod, Shannon
British Columbia: McLeod, Simpson

Offline MikeyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Paul, I have got quite a bit of your Plested family tree.  My mother was Ernest Plested's sister and she and I did quite a bit of research at one time.  One of my cousins and I still do the occasional check. 
I need to check my records but one thing I can tell you now is that there were two sisters left in Chesham when they moved to Wales.  The oldest daughter was Jean (Lacey), the second Ruby (Arnold). Jean had one daughter and Ruby two daughters and one or two sons. Ernest had three brothers and two sisters. All are now dead as are Jean and Ruby.
His parents were William Charles Plested and Theresa Cook Rance.  The father was a shoemaker. He died of TB at about 50. Nan (Theresa) died in January 1961. She was 83 or 84.
I have records going back to about 1770 on some on the family and will be happy to share with you. This is the first time I have ever used this site and I do not know how to procede with this.

Hi Hannah,
I am a Plested moved from england to australia. I would love to know more about the Plesteds if you would be so kind it would be really appreciated. Please message me .
Cheers!

Offline MikeyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 March 12 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hannah, thanks for the message . I would love to hear from you.

Offline hs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 October 16 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hello all
i know this is an old post but wonder if anyone had any luck with Phillip (who married Rebecca Clarke) and his birth?
I am following his son William born 1849
thanks
Hils