Author Topic: Norcott Atkins- who is his mum?  (Read 4612 times)

Offline Surfcoast35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norcott Atkins- who is his mum?
« on: Sunday 10 January 10 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the family history of Norcott Atkins, b.abt 1834, for some of his Aussie descendants.
Norcott married Eleanor Boylett in 1858 in Victoria, Aust. They had 5 children, moved to NZ where Norcott died in 1868.
However his parentage is a problem, in that there are at least 3 versions on Rootsweb, the most popular being that his father was Abram Atkins, but his mother could be any one of 3 persons. Camilla D'Esterre or Catherine D'Esterre or Barbara Argentine T Silver.
Can anybody help sort out this confusion ??
Alan

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Norcott Atkins- who is his mum?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 10 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this will help at all, but would his NZ Death certficate give his parent's names?  :-\

If you get no joy here on the Beginners board this request may be better on the Australian or NZ board.

Do you know where Norcott was born?

PS. Welcome to rootschat by the way.  :)

Offline Surfcoast35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 10 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ruskie,
Thanks for the welcome.
I'm still having some trouble finding my way around this system, can't find where my message landed etc etc.
Tried NZ Hist BDM'S online & the death reg. does not come up, but I'll keep working on that lead.
Have finally found the other boards, so will try posting on the Aussie board as Norcott's time in NZ was very brief (months) & his family all returned to Aust soon after.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 10 01:49 GMT (UK) »
If he was born in Australia it would probably be a good idea to post there. Do you know what state he was born in?

I wonder if Norcott was his given name?. It is unusual. I suppose it could possibly be his a grandmother's maiden name.  :-\ Something to keep in mind while searching bmd's.

It might be worth searching for Norcott as a middle name too and also check for misspellings.
Good luck.

Another thought. It could be worthwhile also posting on the NZ board for a specific lookup for Norcott's death. Mention where he lived if you know. There are some great researchers on the NZ board who should be able to help.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 January 10 02:00 GMT (UK) »
I suppose you've already done this, but have you googled his name? There are a few hits including mention of a newspaper article dated 17 Aug 1868 saying that Norcott died suddenly on "Tuesday evening last" (so you might be able to work out the date  :-\) - and he was the Manager of the Hawkes Bay Boiling Down Company. There must be an obituary for him in the local newspaper.

Offline Surfcoast35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 10 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks Ruskie, had found all those. His Vic marr cert says his mum was Camilla, so there seems to be a generation missing somewhere

Offline Surfcoast35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 January 10 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie to your previous post.
His marr cert says he was born Waterford, Ire.
Norcott was the family name on the mothers side some distance back.
Will try the NZ board

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 10 04:45 GMT (UK) »
The information on the marriage certificate should be accurate as it was provided by Norcott himself and you wouldn't think there would be any reason not to tell the truth, unless of course he didn't know his mother.  :-\ (Of course father's names can be made up to cover up illegitimacy).

It seems that the reason you are confused is that you are relying on the research of others. If you do your own research and back it up with certificates you should be fine. I can see that Camilla and Catherine's names could easily have been mixed up but at least the surname is the same. But Barbara Silver is something else!  :o

It would still be worth trying to find his death just to check what mother's name is given. Death certs are the least accurate specially since the informant may not have known Norcott very well, or a child or wife may not have known his parents back in Ireland. I've found numerous examples of wrong parent's names on d/c's - usually a mixup such as your Camillla vs Catherine dilemma (similar sounding names).

Are any of Norcott's children's names the same as any of his parent's names?

So you need to go to Ireland to attempt to find Norcott's birth ....  :-\

Irish research is another kettle of fish completely. I've got nowhere with mine, but some seem to do quite well. Good luck with that.  :P

We do have Irish boards on rootschat.  ;)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 January 10 04:52 GMT (UK) »

Norcott was the family name on the mothers side some distance back.

This implies that you have further information on Norcott's mother's side of the family. Is this from other researchers or your own research?

Why do you think Camilla is the wong mother and that there is a generation missing?