Author Topic: Death certs and wills  (Read 1815 times)

Offline dizziebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Death certs and wills
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 11:07 GMT (UK) »
How would I get a copy of death certificates and any wills of my family who left England for California in the 1920's. Thay started off in Detroit, Michigan and ended in California.

1. John Boot b. 13 Oct 1895 Warwickshire UK died March 1979 , his
     last    residence was 92649 Huntington Beach, Orange County LA

2. Wife of John- Annie Louisa Boot nee Eadon b. 1897 Warwickshire, UK
     died 15 Jan 1956 Los Angeles

They only other info I have on them is what is on the 1930 Michigan Census. They had a daughter  (*) b 1927 in Michigan. I cannot locate any other children as yet.

3. Johns Sister- Elsie Arrowsmith b. 1892/3 Warwickshire Uk I think she remarried a Mr Ward and she died Nov 1982 in 90815 Long Beach Los Angeles CA

Many thanks for anyone who can point me in the right direction.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc. 
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Social Security numbers also removed.

Summerfield, Boardman, Haskins, Boot

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death certs and wills
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Generally, the best way to find out how to order death certificates is to run a Google search for (whatever state) death records and look for a result from a .gov site. 

This is the site for California:  http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Pages/CertifiedCopiesofBirthDeathRecords.aspx  You would need to order an informational copy unless you are a close relative.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 15:19 GMT (UK) »
You say you only have information off the 1930 census.
So wonder if this will give you an insight and a little background into how the family travelled. It all adds to the story.
John is John Clarence Bernard Boot arrived Canada on the Minnedosa 30 June 1923. He hadn't lived in Canada before and hoped to emmigrate. Destination Montreal to Miss F Arrowsmith - a friend - 37 Rosemount Avenue. Westmount. Montreal. Nearest relative in country from where he came was Mrs J Boot of 2 Rowland Street. Rugby.
In July 1923 he crossed the border from Canada into the USA, also with him was William Arrowsmith (husband of sister Elsie) Elsie and Annie were named as wives back in Rugby.
John was Naturalized in Detroit. Michigan.
Annie Louisa Emily Boot birthplace Napton. Rugby arrived 14 Sept 1923  Quebec on the Ausonia. Object of going to Canada was to visit relations and she did not intend to live permanently in Canada. She had £10 and was going to her Uncle at 133 Irvine Avenue. West Mount. Montreal. Looks like Mr G Allibone. Her mother Clara Eadon lived in Rugby
John, Annie & daughter born in Michigan 1926 made a border crossing USA to Canada - arriving Walkersville. Ontario 13 July 1929. This scan in particular gives a fair amount of detail, please send me a personal message with your e-mail address if you would like this for your records.
Regard  ;D ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline dizziebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou,
Not sure why the SSNumbers were edited out as they are freely viewable on rootsweb Death index pages. They seem to think the info is copyright free??????

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 16:45 GMT (UK) »
The Social Security numbers are not necessary to give you the information that you're looking for, so I'd rather avoid having them on here. 

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 17:05 GMT (UK) »
John's sister Elsie and William - Border Crossing USA to Canada 14 June 1930 arriving Windsor Ontario.
Sent.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Have you tracked any of the Arrowsmith family - perhaps this could give a link - from a different angle. They were obviously pretty close - visiting each other regularly. Where was William born ? Noticed a death in Michigan for a William Arrowsmith born 30 Nov 1891 and died in July 1966 ?
Think he could be Stafford though 1888

Offline dizziebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 08:23 GMT (UK) »
William Arrowsmith did die in USA and Elsie did outlive him, we think she went on the marry again and her new surname was Ward. She came over to UK a few times to visit us. Its a shame the family lost touch at some point, I would love to get back in touch again... who knows

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 13:15 GMT (UK) »
This could be your Elsie:-

Elsie Violet Ward.
Brn18 Aug 1892 - Other Country Death:  1 Nov 1982 - Orange.
Fathers surname:- BOOT