Author Topic: Marriage for Nobles/Sandilands.  (Read 4552 times)

Offline Liz Martin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage for Nobles/Sandilands.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 August 17 03:33 BST (UK) »
Hi again Garnet,
it's been quite a year down the rabbit hole of the Nobles family - I have collected pretty much all of them, b/d/m's, children etc. Almost feel as if I know them.
Just a quick note to say I have found George and Mary Jane's marriage. Had come to a dead end, but thought it was because the Holy Trinity Presbyterian Hampstead marriage records were missing. That is where all their brood were baptised, and where the Mathesons worshipped - in fact Hugh Mackay was at the head of the committee that had it built!
It was baffling me that they didn't show up on the FreeBDM index though - I suddenly realised that it is only for England and Wales!
Looked on Scotlands People, and there they are, married in Mary Jane's home town of Inveresk with Musselburgh, in 1871. Doesn't give a date, or even a quarter, but after census time I suppose, and before first child.

oh, not sure if you know this bit, but I found Mary Ann in the house next door to Heathlands as a maid, before she married George. One of the witnesses to their marriage, Edward Jabez Pratt, was in service there. It's called "The Hill", and was home to one of the Gurney Hoare families, who come from Norfolk originally, and that is where Mary Ann and Mr Pratt came from too. She was from Caston. It was a bit baffling at first, as the census seemed to be saying "Cawston" - I stumbled across a description of the Norfolk accent somewhere along the line, and I think someone must have written down her response, as that is how it would be said by a native.
Do you know, I hadn't thought of this last year when we were conversing, but it just struck me that you are my cousin! DOH!! It's nice to know that someone else is remembering George. If you would like to see my collection so far, it is on the big A site, called The  Coachmans Daughter. I also have one called the Coachmans Master with all the Mathesons, church and business associates who had Nobles family in their houses at one time or another.
regards
Liz