Author Topic: SHINGLESTONS OF MARGATE  (Read 6221 times)

Offline geenie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHINGLESTONS OF MARGATE
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 April 11 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I was looking for the name Shinglestons, checked on google and found your messages about the family. I am also a descendant of the Shingleston family through James Shingleston 1820 - 1899 and Sarah Shepherd c1816 - 1870. My great grandparents are Hannah Shingleston and James Henry Hewitt. Hannah is not well known as a family member because on the 1851 census she was staying with her grandparents William & Hannah in Neptune Square. I only found out this through her marriage and then birth certificate which I have.
I was interested to find out about Williams parents, I think I have made a mistake as I have William and Ann instead of William and Sarah Ann Bundock. I have never been able to check this out as I rec the info from another source. I notice you also have the father Thomas Shinglestone and Mary Grant which also I did not know. I also noticed that the spelling of the family had changed, I picked that up on my certificates that I have which threw me at the time.
Look forward to hearing from you  Julia 

Offline geenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 April 11 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,
I hope you receive this. I have received your personal message but for some reason I cannot reply. It says delete but nothing else so I don't know how to contact you. As you can see I am new to this and I don't want your message to disappear.
I would love to find out more from you and Mollie. Please could you tell me what I am doing wrong as this is so frustrating.
Julia

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 April 11 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi geenie

You need to make one more post before you can use the PM system.

So reply to this message and you'll be OK.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 April 11 03:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting me know, much appreciated
Julia

Offline GGrandaughter of HENRY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 August 16 05:02 BST (UK) »
WHITSTABLE ... we are related!!! I've been searching and searching to no avail and had just about resigned myself to the fact that my sister and I were the very last descendants of Henry Hawkins. I am so excited to hear that "cousin Doreen" had children. 

My grandfather was FREDERICK A. Hawkins, and his 3 sisters were Dolly, Inez and Connie. My father was GERALD S. Hawkins and my mother was DOROTHY BARNES Hawkins. Frederick died when my dad was only 3 and he was raised by his mum A. LILIAN NICHOLS in Great Yarmouth. My mum and dad emigrated to the U.S. in 1955.

Look me up on ancestry.com ... My tree is called HAWKINS.

Best wishes,
Lisette

Offline geenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisette, hope I am not to late in replying. I have to check out my family and would love to have a look at your tree but I don't know how to get on it.
I am not sure if you are a direct line. The name does not ring any bells but as I haven't been on my tree for such a long time I need to look. My tree is on Genes and Ancestry but I have my file here. You say you are a G/Granddaughter of Henry Hawkins, when was he born? If you could give me some dates of your family it would be a great help. My family was Hannah Shingleton and James Henry Hewitt. You mention cousin Doreen, not even sure about her, whatever information you could give me would be a great help/
Julia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Julia - My connection to the Shinglestons is through DOROTHY M J HAWKINS (b 1903, d 1976) who married JOHN CHARLES SHINGLESTON (b 1903, d 1957) of Whitstable.

John's father's name was A. G. and he owned a hardware store on Harbour St in Whitstable.
I am hoping to connect with my relatives who are the descendants of John and Dorothy's daughter "cousin DOREEN" (b 1931, d 1983).

I am a descendent of Dorothy's brother FREDERICK A. HAWKINS (b 1898, d 1931) who married A. LILLIAN NICHOLS (b 1901, d 1975) and settled in Great Yarmouth. They had one son, my dad, GERALD S. HAWKINS (b 1928, d 2003) who moved to the US in 1955.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Lisette       

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 00:26 BST (UK) »
Ran across a Whitstable website that contains SHINGLESTON family research. Sharing the link in case it is helpful to anyone ...http://www.oystertown.net/famhist/shing004.html