Author Topic: David Culy,son of French Protestant refugee ca1700/non-conformity in Wisbech  (Read 21769 times)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
Re: David Culy,son of French Protestant refugee ca1700/non-conformity in Wisbech
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 January 10 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Selina

There is a large, disused non-conformist chapel in Wisbech with a graveyard around the falling down chapel.   It is difficult to get at the gravestones, impossible in some cases but I am pretty sure I remember seeing a note on a stone in there (it is a walkway for the public) saying the records of those who are buried there are kept somewhere - can't however remember where the "somewhere" is? :-[

A good number of the headstones are in extremely good order.

Will try to have a look in the next couple of days.   It is not that far from South Brink.

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: David Culy,son of French Protestant refugee ca1700/non-conformity in Wisbech
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 January 10 17:44 GMT (UK) »
That's good of you Sue, I am sure Luzzu will be interested in that information.  There seem to be a good number of people with her Culy name interest in the area.

I have been to Wisbech a couple of times but many years ago now.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 January 10 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Dear Luzzu and Selina,

Been having a bit of a browse on the non-conformist free bmd site.

freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

I got the long list by:

put in "all counties"
District Wisbech
Death
Name:  Culy (do not add christian name)
date:  Dec 1937 (put nil else in for dates) - does not start deaths until 1837

There are two Joseph's on here - one died in1859 the other in 1862 in Wisbe(a)ch (old spelling of Wisbech).   No age was given on this site.

I note one of the Culy's mentioned (Luzzu's I think) above was baptised at St. Peters, Wisbech - that is the Parish (C of E) church in Wisbech.

Don't think this is probably new info to you but "just in case".

Sue

ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 January 10 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Selina and Sue,

I do thank you for your help.  Sometimes it is difficult living such a long way away and there are so many Culys in the area.

Sue, I really appreciate you going to have a look at the old chapel for me.

Yes I can see now that Jacob wasn't baptised at Wisbech St Peter but at the Ship Lane Baptists.  I does say his parents were Joseph and Mary but I am wondering if he might not be related as I don't think I saw him on the census and there is quite a big gap in the dates from the others.

I will go through the census returns again and double check everything.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 January 10 22:19 GMT (UK) »
The 1862 Joseph death could well be relevant.  It took place
at St. Peters and his age was given as 65.  I don't have the full date.

Selina

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 January 10 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.  I really feel I am making progress with this family now and have so much more to work on.

:D

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 January 10 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for advice and guidance please as I don't know the Wisbech area at all.  Unfortunately I am unable to visit to look out local records as I live in Malta.

Family sources have told me that the Culy line I am researching came from France originally, possibly Methodist missionaries and the name could have been spelt with a "K".

I have traced back, so far ,to David Culy who was born ca1828 in Wisbech and who married Martilmas (various spellings) Driver also born ca1828 in Wisbech.  The marriage was registered 3rd qtr 1849 North Witchford 14 175.  David Culy's parents, taken from the 1841 census, were Joseph Culy born abt1801 (possibly 1799) in Wisbech and Mary also born abt 1801 (out of county)

Re the French connection, I have found reference to a David Culy of Guyhirn (who was the son of a French Protestant refugee) who in 1695, founded a sect (The Culimites, I think) who had extreme Anabaptist beliefs.  David Culy died in 1725.  I think there were also Baptist and Methodist Chapels in Wisbech so it seems that non-conformity was popular in the area.

So I have to go back a little bit further to prove a link but I've got stuck and am not sure what to do next.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Luzzu

There was a large settlement of Huguenots in the Thorney/Guyhurn areas of N. Cambridgeshire, many of whom were recruited by Cornelius Vermudian to dig the drainage canals in the Fens drainage project.  See http://contueor.com/wisbech/history/
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 January 10 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Last snippet - burial of a Mary Culy at St. Peters 1854 aged 54.  Again I don't have the full date but it might prove useful.

Selina

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 January 10 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the link - I have had a quick glance but will give it a proper read tomorrow. It seems like it will be really useful.  Just what I was looking for.

Hi Selina,

Thanks for the Mary Culy burial.

Luzzu