Author Topic: Impossible Brickwall  (Read 8148 times)

Offline Anne W

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Impossible Brickwall
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 July 16 07:20 BST (UK) »
What we need I think is for someone to come up with a family bible or something like that. I really don' t know of anywhere else to look !

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 July 16 03:12 BST (UK) »
Something will come up one day. We have been looking for near 40 years and 2 generations for the background of someone connected to the family and just recently LizzieL came up with the information. Good luck. Marilyn

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 17:43 BST (UK) »
The "upper Thames" is the part of the River Thames near to its source. So it is the part of the river round Reading and Henley on Thames. Someone on the Armed Forces board might be able to enlighten you more as to the meaning of this in Naval terms.

The Royal Navy in the age of tall ships is not going to have been concerned with the Thames above London Bridge ... their ships couldn't get there!!

I strongly suspect (but do not take my word for this) that the Naval division between the "upper" and "lower" reaches of the Thames occurred at the confluence with the Medway (on which were sited the Chatham dockyards). So the Upper Thames would be upstream from the Medway to the Pool of London; and the Lower Thames would be the tidal estuary from the Medway to the North Sea.

And if THAT is correct ... then Plumstead is slap bang right on the Upper Thames.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline NicoleD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 28 April 18 10:16 BST (UK) »
That's an interesting bit of context for the banns with Maria Todd...

I know this is an old thread but I too am trying to find Robert RR! He is my 5xgreat-grandfather, through his eldest daughter Mary Ann.

She was already married to a Jerseyman, Elie De la Lande, by the time the rest of the family moved to London. Sadly she died young in 1832 - I'm descended from her daughter Mary Ann Sophia (also her only child who survived to adulthood).