Author Topic: Thomas Carroll born circa 1838 in Carlow son of Edward, Master Baker.  (Read 4860 times)

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Carroll born circa 1838 in Carlow son of Edward, Master Baker.
« on: Sunday 17 January 10 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Trying to fine Carlow connection of Edward Carroll, born Carlow, Master Baker.
Married don’t know where or when, but some of their children were:
1  Patrick bc 1799 2  Daniel bc 1800 :  3  Peter bc ? : 4 Thomas bc 1838 in Carlow.
~~~~~~~~----------4  Thomas Carroll born Carlow: Father’s name Edward Carroll, Master Baker.
Census 1911 Wicklow: Thomas Carroll, age 73 yrs [bc 1838] born Carlow, Widower.   Died in Wicklow 1920 age 97 yrs [bc 1823]

On Marriage Certificate Thomas’s address was Annamoe, Co Wicklow & his occupation was Baker.  Married 1864 to Sarah Jane Newman bc 1837, her address Ballyhad, Rathdrum, in The Registrar’s Office in Rathdrum, presumably as it was a mixed marriage, Thomas being of the Roman Catholic Faith and his wife Church of Ireland. Sarah’s father was Alexander Newman, Farmer. Thomas’s father was Edward Carroll master Baker, born Carlow. Jane had a brother Alexander born c 1841 married Annie ? they had 2 children

Jane & Thomas’s first 3 children were born in Brockagh, Derrylossary, Co Wicklow
1: Anne, and 2 Edward twins, born 1864 both baptized in Laragh, Parish of Glendalough, Co. Wicklow Anne sponsors were John Murphy & Eliza Murphy and Edward’s were John Osborn, Margaret Osborn

1 Anne married 1895 in St Patrick’s Church, Wicklow, Owen O’Connor of Wexford, occupation Quarter Master, son of Owen, occupation Master, they had 3 children.

2 Edward married Bridget Devlin and lived at 1 in Cornagower, East (Dunganstown South, Wicklow) c 1901 show their children were Mary, Patrick, Thomas, James, Daniel and John. James, Thomas & John were on their mothers 1911 census = 6 children born 4 alive. I think the boys went to USA.

3: Alexander was born Oct. 1866, baptized in Laragh, Parish of Glendalough, with sponsors Patrick Murphy & Mary Walsh. He married Mary ? c 1890. Census 1911 states, 5 children born, 4 living.
In 1892 Alex’s occupation was Baker

Between 1866 & 1869 Thomas, Jane and their 3 children moved to Wicklow Town where their next 4 children were baptised in St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church, Wicklow

4  Sarah Jane born April 1869, married Joseph Darcy in 1895. c 1911 Sarah was married 16 yrs 7 children born 5 alive: 1 Linda 13 yrs: 2 Eveleen 10 yrs: 3 Elsie 6 yrs: 4 Joseph 4 yrs: 5 Thomas Leo 2 yrs.

5  Daniel b

Thomas Joseph born May 1873. My Grandfather, also a baker by trade had a bakery at Summer Hill, with his father. In 1897 he captained a football team called The Old Dark Blues. I have a photo of this team with Tommy holding the football, his brother Alex is also in this photograph, but unfortunately I do not know which one he is. I also have a photo taken c 1921 when he is standing on the side, now too old to be a player.
7  John Patrick born April 1879. Family lore says “he joined The Black Watch Reg. and was never heard of again.”

Sorry to be so long winded but perhaps someone will recognoise some of the name mentioned above.

Julia

Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.