Author Topic: Penkhull Street  (Read 11219 times)

Offline RadicalRichard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Penkhull Street
« Reply #27 on: Friday 27 November 15 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the info and the depth of your knowledge and map resources in respect to my original question.

To come clean my interest was because I was looking at possibly purchasing 390 Princes Street, however having viewed it today this is unlikely, however it does still intrigue me how such a hole in the numbers can have come about, it looks like 18 properties were either allowed for in the numbering scheme of Princes Road allowing for the gap which is quite a number to fit in, and then there is your evidence that shows that the three end properties existed well beyond modern developments. 

Also looking at other houses in the street they are mainly semi-detached

Interested in your thoughts

Also talking to the agent today about this he suggested that Reg might be able to help me . . .am I talking to him already ?

Cheers

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 27 November 15 08:50 GMT (UK) »
The numbering discrepancy is quite interesting as all the information I have shows that there were never any houses fronting onto Princes road from that direction. However a closer look at some of the later maps does show that the rear gardens, of the houses of North Terrace,  seem to have been split from the houses and divided into two plots. No buildings recorded on them but it raises the possiblity that part of the land at the rear was sold off for houses that never got built
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 27 November 15 08:59 GMT (UK) »
You can find the relevant maps here
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/
It is a subscription site but if you type in the address it is possible to zoom in on some of the maps to get enough detail before the subscription block comes in
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 05 December 15 22:05 GMT (UK) »
A bit more on the numbering on Princes road. I have just walked down there to have a look and there is more odd numbering there is a numbering gap between 330 and 336 (no 332 & 334) but both houses are the same age and there is another gap between 342 & 346 (no 3440. All a bit odd
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 07 December 15 12:48 GMT (UK) »
I was speaking with a friend last night who shed some light on the odd numbering on Princes road (and other streets) apparently the houses were numbered according to plot, rather than house, the reason being that they would not have to renumber houses to accomodate any future house built. Of course some people bought up two or more plots for extra garden or future investment but the numbers remained the same. The land that became North Terrace on Honeywall was bought along with housing plots on Princes road which became the rear gardens of those houses.
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury