Author Topic: Colebrook Berkshire ? Help needed  (Read 7275 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Colebrook Berkshire ? Help needed
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 January 10 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Looking on Google Maps, Stanwell is near Colnbrook but actually in Middlesex.

This looks like William's birth reg from Free BMD:

Sep Q 1840 Staines 3 285

If you click on 'Staines' it gives the information that the Staines Reg District included the township of Stanwell.  Hopefully, the birth certificate will give further details of William's parents.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline nyflint

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 January 10 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jill
I'll start following this up next week and keep you informed of progress.

Jon

Offline nyflint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 January 10 19:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm still awaiting certificates but in the mean time have followed the William Richardson line back a little way.
William August 2nd 1840
William & Elizabeth (twins) October 17th 1813
Samuel Richardson & Alice Florence - M.November 4th 1805 St Margaret, Leicester.
Here the trail gets a bit difficult.
There was an Alice Florence born June 7th 1778 St. Margaret Leicester except that she's listed as died August 31st 1778 (IGI).
Record / transcription error?
While there are another 3 listed this one looks to be far and the best bet, as I feel it's too much of a cooincidence that St. Margaret, Leicester turns up twice.

I'm guessing that Samuel should be 20-30 in 1805. I can't find a listing with these parameters for Leicester (only 2 back in the 1760's so too old).
Would investigation of the original entry give information on his place of birth?
If not, I think I've hit another brick wall.
All suggestions as to how I get past this very much appreciated.
Jon

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Crikey, Jon. Leicester is over 100 miles from Colnbrook! Have you any other information tying the Richardsons to Leicester?  ???

I know it's not impossible for them to have married that far away, but isn't it more likely to be a bit nearer? Have you exhausted the neighbouring Bucks and Middlesex parishes? e.g. I don't think either Langley Marish or Staines marriages for this period are on the IGI.

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline nyflint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Colnbrook Berkshire
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill
I tracked back through IGI to get the names and places.

Samuel is the problem, and I hadn't realised that not all districts were covered.
The Samuel and Alice that I found were married in 1805 which is a bit early, to my mind, for having children in 1813.
There again I can find no other children anywhere so perhaps they had some difficulties.
Neither am I finding any deaths in appropriate areas which might also help.

I've had a look at www.bucksfhs.org.uk  but Colnbrook will only give me baptisms in this period.
The Parish of Colnbrook was created in 1852 from Langley Marish chapelry in Wraysbury, Horton (in Bucks) and Stanwell (in Middx). W
ould you suggest I look at these? I can order Wraysbury but assume Stanwell comes under Middlesex.

Are there other records which might help?

IGI won't let me search on a wild card for names in an area will it?

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I don't think the marriage can be on the IGI - as the Leicester one is the only one that comes up.

I'd recommend using Bucks FHS database search facility. You can either pay £1 for a search for that specific marriage or go mad and pay £3 for all Richardson marriages in a 100 year period. You can even do it online these days. I've used it a lot and found it invaluable - and I recommend the 100 year option, then you don't have to keep going back!!

As William was born near Staines, there's also a strong possibility that the marriage took place there - especially if that was Alice's home parish. I haven't done much research in Middlesex so don't know if the FHS offer a similar database search - might be worth looking at their website. If not, you could try a post on Rootschat's Middlesex board as it's just possible that someone has access to Staines PRs.

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline nyflint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 January 10 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill
I'm a little confused. Were there 2 births about the same time? This William was born 24th June. Have I ordered the wrong certificate?
I have a certificate now but the father is listed as Henry (a labourer) with wife Hannah (nee Levi).
The above listed as being of Stainwell
Very little time to check this one out now before next week.
Looks like I need to do more searching.
Oh, I have sent of my application for Bucks FHS, hopefully that might get me back on track.
Jon

There's a Colnbrook baptism 2 Aug 1840 (birth 24th June)William Richardson son of William, a labourer & Hannah of Colnbrook in Stanwell. That would be about the right age.

No sign of the parent's marriage in Colnbrook and no sibling baptisms either.

Jill

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 January 10 18:46 GMT (UK) »
The Colnbrook entry is for William's baptism. If the William whose birth registration in Staines has father named Henry then it can't be the same one. Sorry to have misled you.

What are the chances of 2 William Richardsons being born so close to each other in time and place and with the same mother's name???  ???

A bit of a puzzler...

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline nyflint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 January 10 19:04 GMT (UK) »
I'll investigate this next week when I've a few evenings in.
I'll be so glad when / if we get through this phase, it's so frustrating.
I think all the more so because I was adopted and am trying to discover a personal pedigree or perhaps lack of it !!
 :)