Author Topic: North Rd wolverhampton - electoral register 1940 help please  (Read 11143 times)

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: North Rd wolverhampton - electoral register 1940 help please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 August 13 19:12 BST (UK) »
A little more information about Mrs Legge's Memorial Home:  there is an article here which talks of the possibility of a booklet being produced about the home:

www.blackcountrybugle.co.uk/News/Letters/Wonderful-reaction-to-Wolverhampton-appeal-19062013.htm

The full name of the home was "The Mrs Legge Memorial Home For Unmarried Mothers Of Previously Good Character" - I know that the girls were very well looked after, as my grandfather, who was butcher in Wolverhampton, used to supply the home with meat, which was never 'cheap cuts'.  My grandmother was invited several times to a sort of Open Day at the Home, and always said how gentle the staff were, and how much they cared for the mothers and babies.

I would be interested to know more...my granny would have only have been 16 or 17. She came from a small village in the shropshire countryside, so would'nt have known anyone. How did the girls get a room there ? How long did they stay ? Were the staff trained in midwifery ?...fascinated to know more..

Offline peter vessey

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 May 14 21:26 BST (UK) »
There is still a "Mrs Legge Memorial Trust" administered by the diocese

Offline Jackie M53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 January 16 16:28 GMT (UK) »
On my dad's birth certificate: born at 89 North Road, U.D. MOTHER's name: Muriel Craven Bucknall a Domestic House Maid of 1 March End Wednesfield U.D.
My dad found that he was baptised at Christ Church, Wolverhampton on a Thursday evening: that time being for unmarried mothers.
Does anyone know where the records relevant to 1932 may be? Lichfield record office hold some from 1955. As I understand it the Home was under the control of Lichfield Diocese

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 January 16 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting..the baptism register may still be in the church. It might be worth giving them a ring and finding out. Do let us know what they say. I would be interested in finding an baptism entry for my family member too

Offline Jackie M53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 January 16 08:27 GMT (UK) »
My dad got a copy of his entry in the baptism register. I'm interested in where the records for the home are to be found.

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 January 16 11:09 GMT (UK) »
My dad got a copy of his entry in the baptism register. I'm interested in where the records for the home are to be found.

Thats interesting...how did he get his copy, I would be interested in finding my family baptism entry.
Re the records for the home, there is a lady in wolverhampton doing lots of research on it, I will find her details for you.

Offline Jackie M53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 January 16 13:02 GMT (UK) »
I can't remember where dad got the copy from the baptism register. This would have been about 1998 or later. If the church is still standing then I think it might have been there. If not then I guess Wolverhampton Archives would be the place to ask.

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 08:40 GMT (UK) »
On my dad's birth certificate: born at 89 North Road, U.D. MOTHER's name: Muriel Craven Bucknall a Domestic House Maid of 1 March End Wednesfield U.D.
My dad found that he was baptised at Christ Church, Wolverhampton on a Thursday evening: that time being for unmarried mothers.
Does anyone know where the records relevant to 1932 may be? Lichfield record office hold some from 1955. As I understand it the Home was under the control of Lichfield Diocese

Hi Jackie, if you mean where are the baptism records for ChristChurch then there are copies held at Wolverhampton archives but I'm not 100% on what year they go up to....

http://www.wolverhamptonart.org.uk/about-wolverhampton-archives/

This is the link to the website. Lisa
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.