Author Topic: Dawson  (Read 4688 times)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
Re: Dawson
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 February 10 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any later details on Dawsons?  I am led to believe that my grandfather was from County Durham somewhere and he was born around 1907/8.  His name was William Harold Dawson and according to his marriage cert his father also shared the same name.  I have no idea where he was born or if he had any siblings.  I just know he got married in Rugby and he died in Coventry in 1959.
Cheers
Lisa
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline hereford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 February 10 23:14 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Lisa I have no records of that name in the info submitted to me. However in the family of my great great grandfather there was also a hugh and hannah.I dont believe that hugh came to nz as I cant find a record of him here so am assuming that he stayed  in England or else went only as far as Australia. This is where this family went to before coming to nz. If he stayed in england and married and had a son perhaps the william mentioned in the cert of your relation could have been his son. At the beginning of my search I have mentioned the names of my dawson family as written in the bible.Perhaps if you researched hugh there may be a link.There must have been other members of the dawson clan who lived and died in durham and perhaps the connection is there.In the info sent to me by members names of towns etc are mentioned so that may help you with your search. I am still hunting as  I want to find out what happened to Hugh and hannah. Sorry I cant be of more help. But if I came across anything will mention it Joanne
Dawsons,potts,medwins -england
Mcilroy,greer,cannon,Turner-Ireland
wallace,andrew,kemp,Carruthers-scotland
Honan-Australia
New zealand-To name a few names

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 February 10 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

I'll put a link to your other post about this, to save any duplication of searches, have replied on there

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,435592.msg2995171.html#msg2995171

Kind regards
Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline hereford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 February 10 04:39 GMT (UK) »
I have had a thought regarding this dawson family .There must be people connected to this family still in England and I am assuming still Durham also connected to the mathew potts and the william medwin who married the two sisters Perhaps Hannah dawson the older sister has decendents. How would I go about locating anyone who would have knowledge and storys of this family  hereford
Honan-Australia

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 February 10 13:52 GMT (UK) »
I see you've already made another post about this
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=440373.new#new

it might be as well to link that to your other posts so that people don't duplicate the searches already done

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 February 10 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi hereford
Putting on more requests for this family is unlikely to help.  It can cause confusion and you already have enough information in postings on rootschat for people to find the family if they Google them.
I think perhaps it is time to sit and assimilate all the information you have been given so that you know exactly what you have discovered so far.
Regards
Andrea

Offline hereford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 February 10 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea I have put info together but It is the journey from england right through to nz I am trying to research. Plus trying to sort out where the potts family came from Really trying to form a story of their journey. So I have decided that the dawson family must go on hold for a while  I am going to try to see if there are members of this family still living in the area they came from as they hopefully will have stories that they can pass on to me. Many thanks to the roots chat people who have been very kind and helpful in helping me so far. This site is really amazing . But the dawson story has been hidden for  many years but it can wait a little longer Thanks Hereford.
Honan-Australia