Author Topic: A family tree shocker for a friend  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: A family tree shocker for a friend
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 February 10 19:59 GMT (UK) »
:o

Not as shocking as that, but my mother remembers her father saying that his brother had died when he came home from school one day, but no-one else in the family seemed to know anything about it and the person who should know always looked at my mother as if she had made it up when she asked about it; so much so, that my mother was beginning to think she had imagined it.

Anyway, now that we have seen the 1911 census entry for the family it says that 11 children were born alive and there were 9 left . My mother showed this to the person who had always denied it and she said "Oh yes, I knew that"

So frustrating, knowing someone was sitting on the info all the time.  >:(

I share your frustration .... I've been doing my Mother's side of the family for a few years now and spent a small fortune !! everytime I make a "discovery" I get "yes I knew that" so I gently remind her that I might just be uselful to tell me these things BEFORE I spend my money LOL

I thought I had finally got throught to Mum when over Xmas dinner last year she came out with the most astounding bombshell ..... her maternal grandfather had been posted in India whilst serving in the Black Watch .....whilst there he had married a local woman (children? not sure) but when he was due to return home to Scotland he had just quite simply left her behind and married my gt grandmother !!!

Yet again .... Mum hadn't thought to share that little bit of info with me in last 4/5 years I have been going stir crazy finding her family ........ I've given up all hope of help here lol.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A family tree shocker for a friend
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 February 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Last September my mother told me about my nans full sister, which negates the illigitemacy that was on her, my nans birth certificate.  All the other children born to her mother with her new husband were obviously half brothers/sisters.
/although technically she was born before they married and registered two days beforehand. This fact was never changed, which has always erked and upset her, because people of her era were more effected by these facts.  As if her parent did not want her.

marcie :-\
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet