Author Topic: Adam Porter, Elizabeth, Union NJ, any help appreciated  (Read 5251 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Porter, Elizabeth, Union NJ, any help appreciated
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 February 10 15:42 GMT (UK) »
This is a possibility for John Porter but the birth is June 1867 and immigration says 1890. His parents are both listed as Scotland. It would be the same district as that 1900 with Margaret on but !!
Newark Ward 11, Essex, New Jersey.
John Porter 32 Married 9 years. June 1867 !!
Mary E Porter 27 Born Ireland
Florence E Porter 8 Effie M Porter 4
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 February 10 15:47 GMT (UK) »
This 1910 one is better - it has the correct birth, immigration and is the same family.
West Orange Ward 3, Essex, New Jersey
John Porter 46 Occupation looks like polisher Mary Porter 38
Florence Porter 18 Effie Porter 14 Alice Porter 8 Margarett Porter 5 John Porter 2
Anna Mornnsky 16 Servant from Polnad

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 February 10 15:57 GMT (UK) »
John's date of birth was 23 June 1863.

This is amazing, I never though when I posted my request earlier that I'd have all this detail in such a short time!

The Mary/Margaret one is uncertain.    Mary's birth date is give as 1865 but my Mary was definitely born in 1856: Margaret was born in Ireland not Scotland, but then again I'm not sure if there was any social element to that in New Jersey around 1900?

It's nice to know that Adam's family appear to have prospered in the States - I'm going to keep looking for Adam himself though.    What is the best way to try and find out a death in the late 1800s, or is it a non-starter?

You must be tired of my keep saying 'thank you' but there's very little alternative ways to put it.
Maggie 1895
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 February 10 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry. Not really getting anything on William in New Jersey - have tried birth Scotland - birth USA. The girls are more difficult to trace.
Jane has probably married between 1880 - 1900 so no luck with her.
Mary could have married after 1900 - no luck with her either.

Yes that 1900 census for Margaret/Mary is rather uncertain but then by the time we get to 1910 John appears to be there as well - so one to keep in the filing cabinet !!!

Its nice to get an acknowledgment, some don't even say thank you.

I have tried to see if www.pilot.familysearch.org came up with any of the marriages or deaths but it does'nt seem to be as good on New Jersey. Sorry, not sure what to suggest as a way forward.  ;D

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 February 10 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Had another quick look in resources. I don't think that there's anything comprehensive online for deaths in New Jersey but here is information on ordering the death certificate (should you find a date of death)  http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/gen.shtml

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 February 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I have tried to see if www.pilot.familysearch.org came up with any of the marriages or deaths but it does'nt seem to be as good on New Jersey. Sorry, not sure what to suggest as a way forward.

I never anticipated miracles, and you have provided me with much more than I thought possible.    It is very much appreciated, believe me.

The post is on the board and  I now understand that there's little to gained by searching, you seem to have covered every possible aspect and you've answer the emigration question for me anyway, which is a big result for me.  

You never know - someone seeing this may find it rings a bell with their own family tree.    If not, well we all get brick walls.    I'm not directly descended from Adam (apart from possibly the biblical one) and hoping to find more about his roots was a way of finding more about my gr.gr.grandfather Thomas, and through that my own.    

If we had tuppence for everyone on this board who has Irish emigrant roots that can't be traced or identified back in Ireland, we'd all be rich!

Thank you so much for everything you have provided, both here and by PMs,
Maggie1895

p.s. just saw your latest post - will certainly use that if I can find a date
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 February 10 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the pm's and personal e-mail just got caught up with it all.  If you have another question or want anything checked - please come back. Everybody here is always willing.  ;D

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 February 10 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Just in case anyone else read this..

I just double checked the dates as dettori kindly found an immigration record in September 1867.   The ship is the Caledonia from Glasgow to New York, and the listing shows Margaret with Mary, Thomas, John and Jean.   Possibly also James, the son from Adam's first marriage.  Oddly enough not Adam but perhaps he's on a different page or went ahead first.

Margaret had given birth to their son Adam in April of the same year.  He only lived 4 days so she must have had a rotten time of it, burying a baby and then having to leave and head to New York.

That does mean though that William, who appears on the 1880 census age 12, must have been born after their arrival in the States, but no luck finding any birth record so far.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 February 10 18:46 GMT (UK) »
There are a few limited databases for state records from New Jersey, mostly covering prior to 1900, here:  http://www.state.nj.us/state/darm/links/databases.html

As for the vital records, I don't have anyone in New Jersey, but ones I've seen from other states usually only say the country where someone is from, unfortunately.