Author Topic: Anne Lewis 1871 TRAIANGLAES  (Read 15067 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Lewis 1871 TRAIANGLAES
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 23:39 GMT (UK) »
I've still not worked out where Anne Lewis fits in - is she the 'niece' of Thomas Thomas or his wife Elizabeth or is it another 'relative'  ::)

I've not located this Thomas on the 1861 so far - it couldbe a missing piece or something else. I'll have another look tomorrow  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline margaret davies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 23:58 GMT (UK) »
  I havn`t got a clue where she fits in either, but was she an orphan and brought up by this family,I wonder if her parents are on the 1861 census  with other children because,on the 1871 census for POSTY DEVYNOCK   Morgan Thomas and Rachel have a child with them MARY PRICE, ORPHAN,age 11yrs,could that be LEWIS not PRICE, as there is such a mix up with names etc it makes one think if they just put down anything,, Marg
  Thanks Gadget I do appreciate your help   Marg,,, NITE

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 February 10 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Margaret

I've been going through the BMDs looking for an Ann(e) Lewis b.Breconshire 1864-65.  Most of the ones I've looked at were registered in Llandovery. However, there is just one registered Brecknock (which is the RD of  Traianglaes and  St David  ). It's:

Ann Lewis (note no 'e') , Sept q, 1864, Brecknock, Vol 11 b Page 109

Brecknock was also the RD of her marriage cert.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 February 10 10:18 GMT (UK) »
 :)

A possible set of parents in 1861:

Newgate Street, Brecon St David
RG9/4211/96/21

William Lewis, 37, farm labourer
Elizabeth Lewis, 29, b. Carmarthen, Pencarrog
William Lewis, 5
Daniel Lewis, 3
Rees Lewis, 1
Esther Evans,  widow, 60, garden helper, b. Carmarthen, Llandovery

All others b. Llywell

In 1871, this family appears in Merthyr but William seems to have a new wife:

Castle Houses, Merthyr Tydfil
RG10/5391/ 78/6

William Lewis, 48, quarryman
Hannah Lewis, 35, b.Glamorgan, NK
Daniel Lewis, 13, collier, b. Llywel
Rees Lewis, 11, -do-, b. -do-
John Lewis, 8, b. Brecon, St David
David Lewis, 2, b. Glamorgan, Merthyr T

Anne was 6, b. St David on the 1871 with the Thomases. It might have been that Elizaeth died around that time and the Thomases took her in. At the moment, I can't find a suitable death for Elizabeth. 

There are two possible marriages for William and

an Elizabeth Parry:
June q, 1854, Brecknock, vol 11b page 209

an Elizabeth Lewis
Mar q, 1855, Brecknock, Vol 11b page 152C (?)

David would probably be the first child of William and Hannah.

There are a few possible marriages of a William Lewis to a Hannah in Merthyr around that time.

Margaret, I did akk earlier but you might not have seen it:

Where did you find the inforomation that Anne's parents were a William Lewis and Elizabeth?

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 February 10 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I think the 1851 that I gave in reply # 5 did have Mary's age wrong.

Here they are in 1841:

Gwnwyddog, Traianglaes
HO107/1367/10/12/4

Thomas Thomas, 50, farmer
Mary Thomas, 48
Thomas Thomas, 22
Margaret Thomas, 15
David Thomas, 8
(Mary Price, 13, F.S
John Davies, 80, M.S)

All b. County

On this basis, Mary should have been 58/59 not 79 - obviously the enumerator misread the schedule!  I note that the children's ages are a bit out as well but it is the same family.

Gadget

Offline margaret davies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 February 10 12:58 GMT (UK) »
 :)  Hello Gadget,, Thanks for all this information which I will sit down and digest later on to-day when I have more time,but in answer to your question about the information I have on the names etc, I don`t quite know how to put this down,,
  William Price and Ann his wife moved from Brecon,  PWLLUCHAF farm to this area, NEATH WEST GLAM as it is now, and farmed GELLIDEG farm at TONNA NEATH,   they had 12 children, when WILLIAM retired from farming he gave the farm to his son REES,he retired and sold the farm to his nephew,IDWAL PRICE the son of his brother WILLIAM MORGAN PRICE,  around 1956 my husband David went to work at GELLIDEG FARM, for Idwal Price,David being the GRANDSON of Rachel Price,another daughter of William &Ann Price.
 When the farm was eventually sold but my husband still worked there for the new owners.
 When Idwal died in the early 2000, some papers came to light,which were given to us knowing that I was interested in FH, there are a few names on this paperwork but it is such a complex family it made little or no sense to me.  I have thier marrige cert so 6hat gave me ANN LEWIS father but no fathers name for WILLIAM PRICE, because he was illegitimate as we have now found out,  as for ELIZABETH, going on the name of thier first daughter.
  I`m going to write to the registrar in Brecon, Mrs Lees, and try and get a b cert for ANN LEWIS, I know she has done a lot for my b/i/law Edwin who started the Evans side of our family, do you think that will be a good idea??
     Marg,,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 February 10 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret  :)

You have some nice stories about all your lines  :)

What occupation is given for William Lewis on Anne's marriage cert?

I think contacting the Registrar in Brecon would be a good idea - specify that the father might well be a William Lewis. However, don't rule out an illegitimate birth as I've often found that a made-up name is given to the registrar at marriage to avoid embarrassment, etc.

Gadget

Offline margaret davies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 February 10 22:10 GMT (UK) »
 :)  Hi!, OK I will take your advice on that one,, would you mind if I let you know how I get off with that?
  Just checked William Lewis occupation on m cert, he was a labourer.
  I believe Anns` age is wrong on her marriage cert,she was born 1865 according to the censuses,,so was 16yrs not 18yrs as stated.
  Another tale of Ann Lewis and William Price,when they were to get married he didn`t have any money so Ann give him £2 so that he could go and buy a suit to get married in, she had saved that money by sewing samplers, how I wish that there was one around now,,  Marg,,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 February 10 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes please, do let me know  :)

If he was a labourer it does tie in with the family that I found in Brecon, St David, so fingers crossed  :)

We have one sampler that my Gran did in the late 1880s - my sister has it in a frame.  I must get her to scan it for me  :)

Funny - she was always Gran but her husband was Taid  ;D

Gadget