Author Topic: 1841, 1851 & 1861 Census THOMAS MURBY  (Read 9777 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841, 1851 & 1861 Census THOMAS MURBY
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 March 10 16:28 BST (UK) »
and here they are in 1861

1861 RG9; Piece: 3343; Folio: 28; Page: 12

transcribed as Merley

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 March 10 16:33 BST (UK) »
Family Search has an extracted record for a baptism for Ann Murby, parents Thomas and Mary- Bradford 22 July 1832 - possibility  :-\

Offline Descendant of Murby

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Bound Family c. 1885
    • View Profile
Thomas MURBY enquiry - thanks!
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 March 10 17:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks 'Heywood' - the 1861 Merley is definitely Thomas and co. I can't find the 1841 link you gave me though - I am searching the census on Genes Reunited so am putting in people's names but cannot seem to 'pull up' the people in your list for 1841. How/ where are you searching? If under Genes Reunited census information, is Murby spelt incorrectly again?

Many thanks for your help! I would never have thought of 'Merley'!
Paternal side: Holmes; Brooks; Bostock; Murby; Fox; Shaw; Leedham; Toon.
Maternal side: Speaight; Bound; Taylor; Meredith; Ninnim; Luke; Lloyd; Titus; Marshall; Redpath; Herd.
Photo depicts The Bound Family c.1885. My grannie is the little girl on the left.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 29 March 10 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am searching Ancestry. There are only two Thomas Murbys when you search - 1806 Bradford and 1835 Leicester.
I tried having a 'quick' look at Genes.. (I don't have a membership) but either I am doing something really silly or it is a really difficult site to search.  ::)

In 1841, the family are living in Back George Street Bradford. Thomas is a Wool Comber and both he and Mary are born out of county.

Offline Mike from Leicester

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • " THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 29 March 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
Greeting’s Folks ….

Murby Burials : ~

Welford Rood Cemetery. Leicester.

Plot No’. U. B. 430.
Murby   Thomas   1865   Jul   9   Aged. 58   Sanvy Gate   All Saints   15766

Murby   Mary Ann   1868   Oct   3   69   Sanvey Gate   All Saints   21246

Curtis   Charles Edward   1896   Dec   30   4mths   Abbey Street   Leicester   80217

Curtis   Doris May   1897   Jan   12   22mths   Abbey Street   Leicester   80282

Curtis   Elsie   1898   Jan   10   4   Abbey Street   Leicester   82492

Plot No’. C. H. 890.

Murby   Ann   1851   Dec   11   72   
Catlows Yard Frog Island   Saint Leonard   551

Murby   Thomas   1852   Mar   25   Aged.73   
Catlow's Yard Frog Island   Saint Leonard   880

Birch   James   1877   Apr   14   53   Jarrom Street   Saint Mary   18591

Whelton   Harriet   1899   May   20   64   The Workhouse   Leicester   42691

Miller   Julia   1921   Sep   24   74   North E. Infirmary   Leicester   59655

Perkins   Florence Elsie   1936   Mar   19   32   31 Kempson Road   Leicester   66101

I Can not see the other Thomas  in 1852 ….
Also No Elizabeth’s burials to fit your years 1827 ~37.

Confirmation of :~

St Helen’s Parish Church.
Sharnford.

Parish burial Register No’. 109.

Thomas Murby.
Abode. ….Sharnford.
1st. February
Aged. 74.

MIKE. ……..
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Researching :-

Isle of Wight.          Oxfordshire / Warwickshire.

Cassell.                   Powers. 
Draper.                   Hirons.
Combs.                   Botts.
Stallard.                 Hall.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ann MURBY's whereabouts in 1841 census
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 April 10 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hello - just a response to Heywood on the whereabouts of Ann Murby in the 1841 census. There is an 'Ann Murby' aged 10 (right age for my GG Grandmother) living in Cheshire as a female servant, born 'out of county'. From the info you got off ancestry.com, Ann isn't living with her mum and dad and siblings in 1841 so this might be her! She is certainly a long way from home if it is her! Poor Ann! Weirdly, there is a Hannah Murby aged 16 also living in the same house as a female servant, but I can't find her on the 1851 census or as having got married or died in the intervening years from 1841 - 1851 so I don't know who she is. I don't think she is Ann's sister as she had a sister called Hannah born in 1850.

Curious.
Maternal side: Speaight; Bound; Taylor; Meredith; Ninnim; Luke; Lloyd; Titus; Marshall; Redpath; Herd.
Photo depicts The Bound Family c.1885. My grannie is the little girl on the left.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 April 10 18:10 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Ann and Hannah in 1841 are 'subject to transcription' as I can't see them at all in Anc. ???

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Just reviving this Murby conversation as I have been doing quite a lot of research into the Murby family of Sharnford. I am interested in the Murbys as my great great grandmother Ann Murby, born circa 1832-ish in Bradford, is the daughter of Thomas Murby and Mary Gornall. Ann's father Thomas Murby was actually born in Sharnford, baptised in 1803 at St Helen's Church. He was a Woolcomber by occupation, as was his father and uncle. (They all ended up as 'paupers' when mechanisation came in.) This Thomas Murby (Ann's father) was the Murby who moved from Sharnford to Bradford and that's where Ann and her siblings were born and married and brought up their families. So I think of the Bradford Murbys as 'my lot'! This Bradford link continued for over 100 years as my father, born in 1921 in Bradford, actually had his first family in Bradford but then moved to London, so breaking the cycle of 100 plus years working in Bradford in the textile industry! Ann Murby married a Holmes (Jonas Holmes) in 1857 and so her name changed to Holmes but she called one of her sons Murby Holmes and he is my great grandfather. He also called a son 'Murby' as a middle name so the name lingered on a bit in the Holmes family too.

I have details of Thomas Murby, born 1803, Sharnford, his parents - Thomas Murby - bap. 1779 Sharnford and Ann Carter c. 1780 Willey, Warks, then Thomas senior's parents - Thomas Murby bap. 1752 in Sharnford and his wife Mary Brown. Then also his parents - William Murby born around 1720, who married first Elizabeth Bray and then when she died, my great great great great great great (that should be 6!) grandmother Sarah Cotton. If anyone wants to get access to my GenesReunited family tree, which includes all the children I could find from these unions, and more detail with dates etc., please let me know.

I have also found another direct descendant, still called Murby in fact, who is alive and kicking in South London who is directly descended from William and Sarah and their son Thomas Murby and his wife Mary Brown. The internet is amazing for finding relatives you didn't know you had!

Any further information on William Murby (born 1720ish) and Sarah Cotton would be very welcome. Also on Thomas Murby (born 1752 Sharnford) and his wife Mary Brown. Were they also woolcombers?

This conversation has been very useful, especially Mike's burial details. Those Frog Island Murby's are mine!

Thanks all rootschatters! Again!

Descendant of Murby  :)

PS just to add that Murby has been mis-spelt serveral times in various of the census - Merly, Merley and Mirby. So watch out if you are searching for them. Try these too.