Author Topic: Humphrey McAusland born 1820 Helensborough  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Humphrey McAusland born 1820 Helensborough
« on: Saturday 13 February 10 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone any interest in the above? In 1851 he is a cooper in Liverpool with wife Mary from Greenock and in 1871 he is still there, now a 'dry salter'.
Their daughter Mary, born 1849 in Whitehaven, Cumberland married in Liverpool to Thomas Baylis Paul, a brother of my grandfather. The family stayed in Liverpool.
I have more info if interested. Humphpaul.
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline Scotian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Humphrey McAusland born 1820 Helensborough
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 08:18 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for years on the McAuslan and like name families of Row, Dnb.
My g-g-grandmother was Janet McAuslan who was the second wife of John Stirling ( ? - 1834), mason of Helensburgh, who married 1832.  My g-grandmother Catherine being the only issue.
I have not been able to indentify without a doubt Janet's parentage, seems Janet was a popular name in the McAuslan's.
I have extracted all the McAuslan and like entries from the Row OPR's and tried to place them in family groups to try and identify which Janet it could possibly be.  I have been left with 2 possibilities, both of who may have remarried after John Stirling died.
One of these Janet's had a brother Humphrey bpt. 10 July 1819, parents Alexander McCaslan and Mary nee McFarlane.  Is this Humphrey your ancestor ?
Would like to know more of your information.
Scotian

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 11:22 BST (UK) »
Dear Scotian, The one I have seem's to have been born 1820 going by census entries. In 1871 he gives occupation 'drysalter'. Born in Dumbarton, Helensburgh. Wife Mary born Greenock.

He is at 52, Squires St. Liverpool with 5 kids incl. a Janet born 1870. And in 1881 they are still there and have a daughter Andrewetta born 1872 plus the others.

The name is always with 'd' at the end. I have not gone back with the family as my interest started when a daughter Mary married a brother of my grand father called William Baylis Paul in 1871.

If you have Ancestry, my tree is there under 'Alan Williams'  but I don't think it would be much use to your search. Let me know if I can answer any questions.  Cheers Alan
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline Scotian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 13:15 BST (UK) »
If your ages are derived from Census returns then the Humphrey I indicated is probably the right one as there was only one born around that time.
His parents were as I listed and his siblings were :-
Andrew bpt. 11 June 1812
Janet bpt. 16 Sept. 1814
Helen bpt. 23 Mar. 1817
Parlan bpt. 18 Sept. 1821 &
Alexander bpt. 13 Mar. 1824.
The marriage I have for Janet is to Thomas Heugh, 2 Oct. 1841 at Glasgow.
She died 30 Oct. 1892, West Greenock, Rfw. age 77.
Will have a look at your tree next time I access Ancestry (not a contributor).
Regards, Scotian

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 19:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Scotian. That's good. I will try to get all that onto my tree unless you have any objection.

The McAusland family did well in Liverpool as you can see from the censuses. One became an accountant and another (Stuart McAusland born 1895) a well respected doctor with a practise in Rodney St, Liverpool.

My connection started in 15/12/1871 when Thomas Baylis Paul married Mary age 22. She was born in Whitehaven, Cumberland. It was in a congregational church. Witnesses were Cordelia Campbell and Agnes McCausland

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 August 15 11:02 BST (UK) »
Dear Scotian. Here is a bit of my tree from Mary McCausland PAUL back to your Alexander Caslan.

This lady was  born to W.B. Paul and Mary McCausland  in 1887 which was the year both her parents died.

The 6 children were spread around the family and she came to my mothers family and became one of the family until she married in 1932 to Henry Smith. She died in 1960 with no offspring.. Cheers Alan

Offline Scotian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 August 15 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again Alan.
No objections for my info. going onto your tree.  Have gone back to my original transcriptions of various Row Parish, DNB, records and have copied as written in full below :-
1812  B. Jun.11  Bpt. Jun.27 Andrew lawful son to Alexander McCaslan and Mary McFarlane spouses at Anderstown near Glasgow, born there, at desire of father registered here.
1814  B. Sep.16 Bpt. Oct.30 Janet lawful dau. to Alexander McCaslan and Mary McFarlane spouses in Helensburgh.
1817  B. Mar.23 Bpt. Apr.20 Helen lawful dau. to Alexander McCaslan and Mary McFarlan spouses in Helensburgh.
1819  B. Mar.17 Bpt. Aug.8 Humphrey son to Alexander McCaslan and Mary McFarlan spouses in Helensburgh.
1821  B. Sep.18 Bpt. Oct.21 Parlan son to Alexander McCaslan and Mary McFarlan
1824  B. Mar.12 Bpt. Apr.11 Alexander lawful son of Alexander McAuslan and Mary McFarlane spouses Helensburgh.

I don't know if it applies in all cases but I have found that if McAuslan and variants contain a final "d" that the family is from Ireland.  With the high number of Irish in Liverpool it could be where your family picked up the spelling "McAusland".

If anyone wants or has further information about the McAuslan's of Row I would be happy to provide what I have or enter into correspondence.
Scotian