Author Topic: "The Great War"  (Read 6575 times)

Offline Trillium62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"The Great War"
« on: Sunday 14 February 10 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Many of us still make reference to the First World War as the "Great War".  It was our ancestors' understanding of that war and a perfect description of the event in the nomenclature of the era. 

A few years back I edited a biographical essay of a Canadian painter (Canadians will immediately recognize Tom Thomson, who died in 1917).  I consistently changed the author's references from the "First World War" to the "Great War" because it was historically correct. 

I'd be interested in knowing how many of you think we lose something of our history by not continuing to refer to that dreadful conflict as the Great War. 

I know it's just a question about semantics, but we're a group looking back at history.

Carol
England: Noller, Benham, Newson, Ling, Sunley, Hampson, Allport
Ireland: Johnston, Bamford, Craig, McQuoid
Scotland: Anderson
Canada and the U.S.:  All of the above!

Offline Hollander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: "The Great War"
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 10 02:31 GMT (UK) »
I agree with you Carol, but must admit when referring to it in a forum reply, sheer laziness often prompts me to describe it as 'WWI'.

If we look at conflicts from point of view of a global theatre, I suppose the Seven Years War could be described as the First World War, which would make the Great War 'World War Two'. Back to semantics again!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 10 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Having been taught at school in the 1950's that WWI was "The Great War" I always know that when the Great War is referred to it's 1914-1918.

I would think that if you are writing a book about the war itself or it's effect's in the 1920/30's it would be correct to call it the Great War. After all these would be the words used by newspapers or books written at that time because everyone called it the "The Great War - a war to end all wars"

I always think that if Germany had not "lost face so to speak" at Verdun in 1918 then they might never have started another world war by invading other Countries, thereby starting off a second world war in the same century.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Penmon

• RootsChat Member
  • Penmon Lighthouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 22:06 GMT (UK) »
 I firmly believe that as it was called The Great War, by those who died or lived through it, then it should keep that title for posterity. 
Roberts, Beaumaris, Caim, Penmon
Jones, Caim, Penmon
Davies, Llanrwst, Llanarmon Yn Ial
Williams, Nant Y Rhiw, Capel Garmon
Hughes, Capel Garmon
Michell, Cwmystwyth, Mary Tavy, Devon
Jenkins, Blaenau Ffestiniog

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 10 11:43 GMT (UK) »
My parents and grandparents always referred to WWI (using the roman numeral I as opposed the number 1 if written down) as 'The Great War' - as in "he died in the Great War', or "he fought in the Great War". And I can still hear my grandmother calling it "the war to end all wars".

But I'm somewhere in the middle, sometimes calling it The Great War, sometimes calling it WWI  depending on which generation I'm talking to, because if I say 'The Great War' to anyone younger than me, I invariably have to specify which war I mean!

But I think you're right, I do think we lose something by calling it WWI or WW1 rather than 'The Great War' and  I'll make sure I use the phrase more often (even if I have to explain it!) in future.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 10 21:28 GMT (UK) »
it was only known as WW1,after WW2,before that,it was known as the great war,simply because the 2nd world war hadnt begun.

mack ;D
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline starlitskie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 February 10 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Ann am trying to get in contact with you. Cant find a way to email... i have a feeling we are related through the Carrick's... i dont know for sure. William Hogg and Mary Carrick had Charles Hogg who came to New Zealand... Mary died young (i assume child birth) so her family moved in with William... I live in NZ :)

Mod edit...Have removed email address to prevent RC members being spammed to death!

•   1891 England Census
about Charles Hogg
Name: Charles Hogg
Estimated birth year: abt 1885
Relation: Son
Father's Name: William
Where born: Hexham, Northumberland, England

Civil parish: Throckley
Ecclesiastical parish: Newburn
Town: Heddon On The Wall
County/Island: Northumberland

Street Address:
Condition as to marriage:
Education:
Employment status: .

Registration district: Castle Ward
Sub-registration district: Stamfordham
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
William Hogg 36
William H Hogg 9
Charles Hogg 6
Norah Hogg 4
Alfred Hogg 2
Margaret Carrick 28
Lincoln Carrick 26
Henry Carrick 23
Charles Carrick 18
Amy Carrick 16

Relations???

Offline x2harry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 June 10 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi starlitskie

I am just starting my tree and are a descendant of your William Hogg & Mary Carrick line, I have copies of Charles Hogg & Mabel
Jane Graham birth certificates also there marriage certificate.
I am in Ashburton, New Zealand :)
Let me know how I can contact you.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong Post)
Hogg, Richards, Harris, Moriaty

Offline starlitskie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 September 10 05:23 BST (UK) »
How frustrating! Trying to work out who you are as you dont seem to be getting my emails??? Im in Greymouth so we live very close by! Trying to work out if your a Hogg or a Richards or what so i can track you down!