Author Topic: 1884 Penygraig Colliery disaster  (Read 6918 times)

Offline Wheelie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1884 Penygraig Colliery disaster
« on: Monday 15 February 10 18:22 GMT (UK) »
One of my ancestors died in this disaster and I have found lots of info about it. 

I read in a book about a monument that stood somewhere as a reminder of this day with all the names of those who died engraved on it but I can't remember where it was.

I guess it would be in Penygraig but wondered if anyone knew of this monument at all and where I could find it?

Thanks.

Claire

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1884 Penygraig Colliery disaster
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 10 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Have found a walking map with reference to it. No 19

You might get more result is you spell it this way ' Pen-y-Graig ', as that would be the Welsh way of spelling it, (I think)

http://www.bhg.org.uk/BrymboHeritage/Landmarks/Walks/Walks.htm

Good luck

Steven
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Offline Wheelie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that Steven.  I will have to take a trip up there to look around. 

Claire

Offline robert186

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 May 11 12:13 BST (UK) »
After a bit of research I discovered that my Great-great grandfather was the colliery manager at the time of the 1884 disaster, and there was a Home Office Inquiry about it which revealed that he had been unqualified for the post. I have links to a few accounts of it from the time if you'd be interested.

Offline Vicky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 May 11 18:25 BST (UK) »
Do you have a name of your G G grandfather, was it Daniel THOMAS?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Surnames: THOMAS, COPE, COOK(E), JONES!, HYBART, SELBY, HANSFORD, DAVIES, RICHARDS, HOARE, CRIDDLE, BROOM.
Counties: Glamorgan, Monmouth, Gloucester, Brecon, Hereford,

Offline Wheelie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 May 11 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert,

I've already come across some great newspaper articles about the disaster but haven't heard about the Home Office enquiry before.  If you have some links you'd like to share that would be great.  Most of what I have learned came from my nan and then the genuki articles.

My ancestor was Fred Nugent, one of the ostlers, who was, according to the reports, the only one of the victims who showed signs of a violent death - we assume this to mean that the horses kicked him as they were scared.

Claire

Offline robert186

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 May 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicky, no his name was Moses Rowlands, and Claire here's a link to the minutes of a discussion in parliament about the disaster and my g-g-grandfather's role in it: http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1881/may/17/mines-regulation-act-the-pen-ygraig. Thanks for the Genuki hint, I'm just looking through their reports now, some interesting stuff...

Offline Vicky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 May 11 12:31 BST (UK) »
There is a large monument in Trealaw cemetery for a Daniel Thomas erected by the public subscripton as a tribute. there is a side with a list of names recovered By him and buried in this (looks like) spot by I cant read the names off the photo. But here are some photos.

Surnames: THOMAS, COPE, COOK(E), JONES!, HYBART, SELBY, HANSFORD, DAVIES, RICHARDS, HOARE, CRIDDLE, BROOM.

Offline Vicky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 May 11 12:33 BST (UK) »

He was given by the Queen Albert medal of first class also the medals of the knights.